Are there any Andrea Doria dreamers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't every wreck diver a Doria dreamer? I can look back in my log book, way back, and find some of my earliest deep dives, under the "dive objective" spot I wrote "Doria prep". So far I haven't dived her. I've done deeper and I've done colder, but I haven't done her. I lost a friend on her back in 92. He blew it when he knew better, because he wanted, maybe needed, to dive the Lady one more time. My prayers for Matt Lawrence. I have other friends who have dived her successfully, one has done so hundreds of times. It's all in the prep and the attitude.

Barnette is right though, she's not the Everest. That one hasn't been found yet.

Have I forgotten or abandoned my dream of diving her? Not a chance.

Tom

I have read and heard much about about the Doria. Not for me. I'm from Long Island,NY. From what I understand it is an overdove, trashed, and pillaged wreck. Not without a great history, tragic and eupthoric dive. There are two kinds of wrecks, one's that have been sunk on purpose for an artificial reef, and those that are grave sites, those who have dove both feel the difference, I know I did.

I'M a northeast diver who has the experience and training to do such a dive. Have I dove the Doria? - NO, Will I ever dive it? - maybe

I've been diving NE wrecks for a long time so conditions on the Doria are no big deal(I've been deeper, colder and stronger current), The main reason I haven't dove it is I don't see any fun spending 3 days on a small boat in north atlantic ocean conditions.. Its a very long boat ride and you have to be grateful if you can get 3-5 ft seas for the trip.. Offshore its usually worse and the weather is very changeable in AUgust when most trips are run... You can have flat seas when you enter and have all hell break lose while you are on the botton, only becomming aware whats in store when you are doing your shallower decos.

I'm not the Doria dreamer. I don't seek anything more then any particular dive offers, just the pictures, and experience. To touch a famous wreck just to say I did it, is not my style. A greater urge to explore the deep beckons, don't know why.

I am a Doria dreamer 100% I have read the book Deep Descent, and I read about how the ship was breaking apart, but for me that makes no difference. My diving goal is to see the Doria, and I can't wait to get there!! (I guess it would help however to finish getting certified first)

Kayla:)

Read the same book, if you get a chance read " The Last Dive ", it puts many issues concerning deep diving in perspective. The more I dive, the more I realize how careful you must be, so many variables, but I love it. I am a depth junkie. What level of cert. do you have, you seem to have indicated you are not certified.

Originally posted by hawgfish
I am a depth junkie.

I was too when I was young and bulletproof. After burying a few friends I've got more perspective on it. Depth in itself is no goal to reach for. Don't fear it but don't seek it either, not for itself.

Dive safe.

Tom

I'm not young, and certainly not bulletproof. I dive within my limitations. Being a deep diver does not mean being a reckless diver. To each his own.

I agree, it doesn't. It was just the way you put it struck me funny. No offense intended.

Tom

I'm a Doria Dreamer (I feel like it's in my backyard); although I'm not sure I'll get to do her before she's pretty much totally rusted/rotted away. After reading "Deep Decent", "Lusataian Controversy" and "The Last Dive", along with listening to Bernie Chowdury speak, I think I'm scared enough to not even think about deep diving (below 130') on air.

My question is at what point in a diver's career should they first begin to train with TRIMIX? Should you have lots of "deep" air dives first? A lot of people see a TRIMIX cert as the final spot, but, do you guys think it's a good idea to start training with it sooner so as to gain more experiece in "easy" TRIMIX dives before doing a dive like the Doria or should one "master" all the other skills and then add TRIMIX skills?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom