Are the Super Wings too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO the largest wings you can get for the type of diving being performed and still stay streamlined is the way to go. Back in 1986 when we were starting to figure out the deep diving world (tec diving is the catch word today) I barely survived an uncontrolled descent. This was due to the gear we had avaliable back then and the depth we were working at. Most of the gear was built or modified in our garages. After several months of recompression therapy and back to diving full time I started applying lessons learned. With over 2000 dives in the 150+ range with close to 100 sub 300' dives, I would say choose a wing that will do what you need at depth. Who cares what you look like on the surface, if you need a big wing use it. Since we don't wear drysuits out here, even in the sub 300' range the wings do all of the work. I can't speak for those of you locked into drysuits. I don't even know how to dive in one...hehehe

My 2 cents worth.

I'm shocked that this thread is still going.I want every one of you to go load your gear , in your car , truck , van, on a go-kart if you have to , and go dive this weekend. most of the divers in this thread are suffering from " Idontdiveenough" syndrome .(yea I've had a few beers, so what!!) THe only way to be a real diver is to dive as much as you can, so stop the BS, and go do it.

Now that's a diatribe!!

P.S I don't dive till tomarrow afternoon , so I can sober up , What's your excuse!!!:dance:

It's ten O-clock, now I start drinking water.

Nova

Its 2:00 in the afternoon on Saturday here. Already got two dives in for the day and at my real job now......hehe

South Pacific Diver:
Nova

Its 2:00 in the afternoon on Saturday here. Already got two dives in for the day and at my real job now......hehe
hehe

Explain one thing to me, Mr. "know it all because I have experienced it first hand". If Boyle's law has no place in the discussion of displacement and buoyancy, why the heck do we need exhaust valves on wings and lift bags. According to your reasoning and trying to trash me for even mentioning it, there would be no need for them. Now, I don't know about you, but I would try to apply this knowledge before trying to lift something. Your way would have been to lift it without an exhaust valve. Once it failed after it exploded on ascent, you would have been left scratching your head (or worse areas) wondering why it happened. I would have done the opposite and tried to apply this knowledge and succeed the first time around. Boyle is definitely related to displacement and thus relevant in the discussion of buoyancy.

As for you knowledge of how stages handle in the water, you chose to ignore pictures of real life divers and say I have no clue. Apparently that link to the picture was doctored. It must have come from the same people who faked the moon landings.

You also have shown no clue how to calculate the different weight of the gases in a stage. Your numbers prove that. I even sent you a quote from a real diver on how helium content helps when carrying multiple bottles. Apparently you haven't heard of him and must think he is full of it as well. That's ok, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know who you are. A definite loss to him :lol3:

Hurl all the insults you want, no one really cares who you are ouside one or two Genesis wannabees on the list. I know I don't really who you are either as you are irrelevent to me.

msandler:
No insult intended, but personally I don't care who knows Dan, I have witnessed his ignorance here. It is very easy to see when someone has real insight to contribute or just talking like a bigshot.

novadiver:
I'm shocked that this thread is still going.I want every one of you to go load your gear , in your car , truck , van, on a go-kart if you have to , and go dive this weekend. most of the divers in this thread are suffering from " Idontdiveenough" syndrome .(yea I've had a few beers, so what!!) THe only way to be a real diver is to dive as much as you can, so stop the BS, and go do it.

Now that's a diatribe!!

P.S I don't dive till tomarrow afternoon , so I can sober up , What's your excuse!!!:dance:

It's ten O-clock, now I start drinking water.
Gosh, Supernova. If you had thought of this before you started posting, maybe you wouldn't have had to resort to so many diatribes. Now that I am sober(after having posted intoxicated according to your tastes), it is so nice of you to become the omniscient one in deciding that everyone that disagrees with you "just need to get along and go diving".
Me thinks the horse you ride is just a tad bit tall for thine posterier.
Now, even your protege, MS whatever has thrown in the towel due to the inability to provide logical responses to his posts. BTW, did five dives today.. Feel great again, now that I have defied the laws of physics with my single bladder wing.

This thread is cool !
I am from Germany, so reading about Nazis somewhat strikes me, but i was born 1965, so this was waaaay before my time...
This thread is a MEGATHREAD :)
We have a thread about: (my experience and opinion after each topic)
-wingsize (55lbs for me, only an old 65 for the double rebreather, but not due to lift, due to width)
-wing-redundancy (never need it, but was THERE on 3 almost-accidents with double-wings)
-Gas choices (pO2 1,0 for me on long dives, 1,2 on shorter on the bottom)
-Helium content (the more the better, for thinking, deco and UW-logistics)
-DIR (works for me, but one can do what he wants, as long as he does not want to dive with me)
-Willkes and Deans ( did it 96 with Billy, i think today he would be DIR ;-), together with the HAVEN in Italy the best wrecks IMHO)
-JJ and GI (dove with both, they are the best)
-He in decogases (use it up to the O2, my favourite decogas would be 100% O2 and 100% He, but i always fail to mix it :) )
-track-record: I do some dives beyond recreational diving, see www.ekpp.org
-Instructors: Some dudes here proof that they are 10 years behind divingwise
-the bashing: People should do what they want and people should choose whom to believe and whom to dive with and it is good that everyone has the freedom of choice to do so.

Michael

jjsteffen:
Gosh, Supernova. If you had thought of this before you started posting, maybe you wouldn't have had to resort to so many diatribes. Now that I am sober(after having posted intoxicated according to your tastes), it is so nice of you to become the omniscient one in deciding that everyone that disagrees with you "just need to get along and go diving".
Me thinks the horse you ride is just a tad bit tall for thine posterier.
Now, even your protege, MS whatever has thrown in the towel due to the inability to provide logical responses to his posts. BTW, did five dives today.. Feel great again, now that I have defied the laws of physics with my single bladder wing.

:knob:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom