Are single tanks used for wreck penetration? (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am putting together a BP&W for single tank diving. I have the option of buying a single tank wing with a ballistic nylon outer shell and removable bladder. I don't think I would need this extra protection except for wreck penetration and am wondering if this singles wing would ever be appropriate for this function, or would I end up needing a doubles wing with double bladder for whenever I decide to take pursue certification in wreck diving.

deepdiverbc once bubbled...
I am putting together a BP&W for single tank diving. I have the option of buying a single tank wing with a ballistic nylon outer shell and removable bladder. I don't think I would need this extra protection except for wreck penetration and am wondering if this singles wing would ever be appropriate for this function, or would I end up needing a doubles wing with double bladder for whenever I decide to take pursue certification in wreck diving.

I don't know about appropriate or inappropriate, but singles are used in pentrating wrecks. Truk may be the primary example.

Well..........

I'll grab at the singles for penetration for $100

NO

Have I done it?

YES

Was it right? NO. At the very LEAST (Writers cramp prevents a book on this) have a redundant air supply. Candy-A$$ penetration? maybe, but for safety's sake, NO.

Most Rec diver have no clue of the potential hazards of such dives. I'm not on a high horse here, as I was silly too, not all that long ago, so take it from me, fellow business owner and Dad, ............live to see the kids, they're worth MORE than ever diving again.

Don't dive stupid. What you DON'T know MAY kill you.

Regards

How about a single tank with a pony?

I have heard some say that the air in a pony is not to be calculated into your dive profile and is for emergency only. If this is the case then would a single tank be large enough for wreck penetration with a pony tank for emergencies only?

Or once again are double tanks the rule for penetration.

subject has been beaten to death but.

No, single tank for any penetration diving, be it cave or wreck, is not a good idea, it is unsafe.

No, small pony bottles attached to the main tank in some convoluted fashion is also not acceptable.

If you penetrate a wreck or a cave you dive doubles.
Having the appropriate training is of course implied.

and no its not the angle of death in bottle.
A single tank with an H or Y valve and redundant regulators is a very safe alternative for someone not ready to step up to manifolded doubles.
The only situation that can't be resolved with an h valve as opposed to doubles with an isolator is a tank neck O-ring blowout, which is extreamly rare, almost to the status of urban ledgend. With an H valve you have the same system as doubles with a non isolation manifold.
As far as capacity with a single, the large 130 cuft tanks are holding as much or more as some double sets I've seen.
So a single tank with a single reg is a NO NO, but with an H valve and redundant regs, why not... unless of course you've been hit by a horde of blown neck O-rings....:wacko:

nyresq once bubbled...
So a single tank with a single reg is a NO NO, but with an H valve and redundant regs, why not... unless of course you've been hit by a horde of blown neck O-rings....:wacko:

All it takes is one..

anyone here ever blown a neck oring?
if yes what did you do to the tank to get it to blow out and what type of tank was it?

I've never known any one who saw one blow, even shop owners I know on a personal basis have not seen one go...

I have never seen a blown neck o-ring or met or talked to anyone who has. And if a neck o-ring did fail, 99.9% of the time it would be on the order of a few bubbles and a slow leak (gosh... I better fix that before the next dive) rather than a major (oh my God, I'm gonna die!!) blow out.

The risk is really badly overstated and in my opinion you are far more likely to encounter a leak in one of the manifold connections than you are in a neck o-ring. And the risk of a manifold leak is very slim assuming it is properly assembled and aligned.

I have some tanks up for visual. Maybe I can talk the shop into leaving the o-ring off one of the tanks for a quick test.

I would expect the threads to make for one heck of a restriction.

Back
Top Bottom