Are Rescue Skills really needed by the average diver.... ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't necessary to teach a full-blown "rescue course" at the OW level ... however, it is certainly possible to train OW divers to be capable of addressing some of the most common issues. That's the point of some of the basic skills, such as OOA drills. But if you only present them in "checklist" fashion, without adequate practice time or explanation of why they matter, people don't tend to retain even what they were taught, since there's a gulf of difference between doing something by rote, when mentally prepared for it vs having it sprung on you at a time you're distracted and having to "remember" how you did this in class (whenever that might have been).

Many accidents that happen to new divers are completely preventable, and the issues that led to them are totally within a new diver's ability to handle. The reason why they don't handle them is (a) they didn't get adequate practice during their initial training to retain what they were taught, (b) they didn't develop an understanding of why this skill matters, and (c) they lack confidence in their ability to deal with it, even though they know how, and therefore they do something other than what they were "taught" in class.

The most important rescue skill you can teach at the OW level is what "stop, think and then act" really means ... and then spend a couple hours giving them exercises designed to practice putting it into action. Repetitions and confidence can help them manage most issues they're likely to face underwater ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The most important rescue skill you can teach at the OW level is what "stop, think and then act" really means ... and then spend a couple hours giving them exercises designed to practice putting it into action. Repetitions and confidence can help them manage most issues they're likely to face underwater ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob you nailed this one!!! We can never practice every possible situation our students will get into. In every OW course, pool and actual OW students run into problems they have to work through. Be it on mask remove replace a snorkel that gets in the way, or a strap that is turned so on and so on. This is one of the big teaching moments I have after they solve the problem we always talk about how they worked the problem and how proud I am. I tell them that is the most important thing I can teach them. You see the wheels turn in every students head about the right mind set and the "Hey I figured the problem without bolting or panic". Teaching our students that they can work problems with the right mindset is more important than doing 100 reps of a specific problem.

I've rescued few divers during the time I've been diving, and you know it's not fun. I have also seen many "certified" divers that had no idea how to do basic skills. It's too sad that is more about money than about teaching people the correct way. About a month ago I trained a rescue diver and he showed me his skills in real situation and saved a guy's life. I was very proud of him, just hope it was the first and last time he had to do it.
I think it's hard to teach OWD students the rescue skills as part of the course. Most of them are so excited (or overwhelmed) about being able to dive that they wouldn't probably absorb the rescue part, it would be just too much to learn. But definitely, all the divers going scuba diving on their own should have the rescue skills!

Agree with Bob and posts that follow. For the ideal student I would think the full recsue course could be included with OW, but also agree that there are probably few who could absorb all that (unless the course was as long as it used to be, way before my time). So the point would be to choose the most important skills to teach. Probably anything to do with a panicked diver and keeping a diver alive while towing to safety would be at least a start. Knowing CPR maybe--PADI OW manual advises knowing this and getting Rescue Cert (I think) if you plan to dive where no one else that knows this stuff is around. That would include a lot of buddies diving only with each other in a lot of places.

I think having CPR and first aid is just common sense for anyone with a conscience. We all know elderly people, have those in our families that may need it some day, and if you are a parent knowing infant/child as well as adult cpr and first aid skills are even more important.
As for students absorbing the skills, in a weekend or two weekend course no. Heck most of these "divers" can't even plan their own dives. They should not have cert cards but do. For them I'd think time spent on basic.rescue skills are even more critical.
I teach a 48 -50 hour OW course by the time checkouts are done. They do remember and can perform the skills. Sometimes.just to.be sure I or one of my assistants will go unconscious/non responsive on dive four, five, or six. Yes I do six dives for OW now. Not once has a buddy team failed to see the problem and react appropriately. But then if I thought they would not we'd still be in the pool.
And no it's not a full blown rescue class. That involves a lot more knowledge, skills, and graphic descriptions of bad things happening. As well as getting as many different gear set ups in play as possible.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jim, I agree with you again. But there are people who don't know CPR and do have a conscience, thus some are divers. People like me, who grew up in a family where I don't think anyone knew it (at least never told me they did)--then you're single 'til 40 and simply don't think of it. Most (all) that I've known had to take CPR before doing PADI Rescue Diver, so they obviously either didn't know CPR or hadn't kept it current. Interesting topic for a Poll.

Last edited:
I think it's a little much to ask for a new OW diver to have good rescue skills. There is just too many things packed into a small class. As Jim mentions above, his classes are longer and I can see how they could be part of the program and would be a great thing. The way I took the question is "Do all OW divers ever need to learn rescue skill?" Or "Is it necessary to strive to learn rescue skills?" I'm glad I typically dive solo when I can so I don't have to worry about the people who think these skills are not necessary. Ask yourself if you would be able to deal with watching someone die due to the fact that you were too lazy to take a class which would have possibly given you the skills to save your fellow diver. I've recently had to rescue a couple people and it all went well. It was stressful enough that I couldn't get it out of my head for a week or so. I can't imagine how stressful it would be had the situation gone worse. I guess my point is that if you want to be a decent dive partner you should consider rescue skills absolutely necessary. I'm not sure a diver fresh out of OW would get as much out of the class if they didn't acquire more experience first though. You need to learn how to take care of yourself before you can learn to take care of someone else.

I vote no. The average diver doesn't need rescue skills.

About 10 minutes into the dive John turned to look at Jennifer, who had been swimming slightly behind him, and realized that she was not there. Turning to look for her, he saw someone in the dimness ahead and swam in that direction. As he approached, he saw that it was Jennifer. John realized she was unconscious, but doesn’t recall whether or not she had her regulator in her mouth. Grabbing her by her BCD, he attempted swimming to the surface. John was kicking hard, but not making any progress toward the surface. He didn’t think to release her weights or inflate her BCD, and in a very short time the exertion was taking a toll. John was feeling as though he couldn’t get enough air through his regulator, and he felt the onset of panic. He released Jennifer and headed for the surface. On the way to the surface, John succumbed to panic and spit out his regulator. He hit the surface gasping and choking, completely unable to call for help. The captain and mate noticed him struggling and motored over to pick him up. Unable to talk or breathe, John kept pointing down.

If John had even a minimal amount of training in bringing an unconscious diver to the surface ... something that can be taught and effectively learned in less than a half-hour ... his dive buddy would most likely be alive today, and he wouldn't have endangered himself while attempting to make what should have been a routine assistance.

ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network - Don't Worry - It Will Be OK

Perhaps rescue skills aren't needed if you're diving under the supervision of someone who has them ... and you're comfortable trusting that person will intervene in a rescue if circumstances require it. For those who engage in diving without the assistance of a dive professional, rescue skills are the most effective way of reducing the risks of a bad outcome if something unexpected happens during your dive.

None of us need rescue skills as long as nothing goes wrong ... do you really trust that will always be the case?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I vote no. The average diver doesn't need rescue skills.

I vote to not dive with you.

Not because you don't have rescue skills... because you don't believe you need them.

I wish I knew as much after nearly 1,000 dives as I did when I only had 25.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom