Are reef hooks allowed in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No hooks or other devices including gloves. Cozumel is completely no touch zone. If your on a boat that allows it, CHANGE BOATS!!

No hooks or other devices including gloves. Cozumel is completely no touch zone. If your on a boat that allows it, CHANGE BOATS!!
The no touch zone is the Marine Park. It is south of the Fontour Marina. Gloves, spears for fishing and even reef hooks could be used outside the park. We used to go up north to hunt lionfish! The original poster wanted to know if there was anyplace to practice deploying a reef hook. He could do that north of town Definitely not in the park.

I may be missing the point (it happens a lot) but why not just head down to Key Largo? They're not going to let you use a reef hook, but you can shoot bags to the surface all day long if you like. I did that when I was getting into deeper dives and it was no big deal.

I may be missing the point (it happens a lot) but why not just head down to Key Largo? They're not going to let you use a reef hook, but you can shoot bags to the surface all day long if you like. I did that when I was getting into deeper dives and it was no big deal.
Two things:

One, this is a forum about Cozumel.

Two, reef hooks are not allowed around Cozumel, at least in the Marine park, but SMB deployment is fine; in fact I recommend that anyone who is diving Cozumel carries one and knows how to use it. In drift diving it is very easy to get separated from your group.

I have an Indonesia liveaboard trip planned for 2023 (Forgotten Islands/Banda Sea). I'd like to get my deep diver certification and practice with a reef hook and deploying an SMB in current beforehand. I was thinking Cozumel would be the perfect place to try this but I can't get confirmation from any of the 3 dive shops I've emailed to ask. Does anyone know if using a reef hook is allowed in the Cozumel Marine park? If it's not, any other recommendations where I can practice using one? I've emailed Dressel (they didn't know) and Pro Dive International (no response) and Dive Paradise (no response but it's only been one day).
I had an amazing liveaboard trip (Forgotten Islands) 7 years ago, on the Seven Seas vessel--fabulous dive sites and some fascinating "visits" to tiny, remote islands enroute.

Smart initiative to get in some practice deploying your DSMB, but not at 15 feet--start deeper, say 40 or 50 feet. When I'm in Coz, I usually deploy mine on most dives as I think it's an important skill to maintain. As other posters have mentioned, reef hooks are not permitted in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom