Are reef hooks allowed in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is outside of the marine park. Not allowed inside the marine park.
Yes but the post was Cozumel, not marine park. The majority of the water surrounding the island is not in the park and lots of diving is available outside the park.

Yes but the post was Cozumel, not marine park. The majority of the water surrounding the island is not in the park and lots of diving is available outside the park.
Most of the dive spots ops go are within the marine park. But there are always a few.

I am not an expert but we were there mid February and you literally hold the rope and large groups swim/circle around you.
No rope or hook needed if you are doing the eagle ray dive use 2-4 lbs extra and just sit on the sand ledge at 80' they come in squadron formation. Some will break formation and come close and check you out. Hold mask if one comes real close. I saw about 30 about 7 years ago but not so many anymore. did the dive last year and only 7-10 . you will see them in pairs quite a bit everywhere in Cozumel in Dec and March as they are coming and going from the area up north.

No rope or hook needed if you are doing the eagle ray dive use 2-4 lbs extra and just sit on the sand ledge at 80' they come in squadron formation. Some will break formation and come close and check you out. Hold mask if one comes real close. I saw about 30 about 7 years ago but not so many anymore. did the dive last year and only 7-10 . you will see them in pairs quite a bit everywhere in Cozumel in Dec and March as they are coming and going from the area up north.
Where we dove you would need an anchor and it wasn’t sand.

Most of the dive spots ops go are within the marine park. But there are always a few.
Most dove ops do go to the park.

Sad not to see the big groups anymore as in past. Seem to be seeing an average of 8-12 nowadays. 7 years ago was about last time big numbers.

Attachments

• eagles.jpg
    eagles.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 37
Sad not to see the big groups anymore as in past. Seem to be seeing an average of 8-12 nowadays. 7 years ago was about last time big numbers.
They aren’t necessarily gone for good. Species populations in any given location fluctuate.

I doubt we will ever see numbers again that are even close to what was here.
Time will tell, of course, but in diving Cozumel for 25+ years I have seen other species' populations ebb and flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom