Are reef hooks allowed in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I know- I meant the reef hook and SMB deployment as two separate skills. As a new-ish diver that mostly dives in the Caribbean with a guide I have had almost no experience deploying an SMB and, again, would rather be comfortable doing it if the need arises.
I always carry an SMB, and on one of the first dives of every trip I let the DM know that I will be deploying mine at the end of the dive and it doesn't mean that I am having trouble. One thing that I have learned is not to wait until I have ascended to 15' to deploy it; it's hard for me not to drift shallower during the deployment. I deploy it at 25-30' and then wind up the spool as I ascend to SS depth. I like to be a little negative on the SS so I can hang from the SMB like a subway rider. In addition to making it easier to maintain SS depth, it pulls the SMB vertical so it's easier to see.

I always carry an SMB, and on one of the first dives of every trip I let the DM know that I will be deploying mine at the end of the dive and it doesn't mean that I am having trouble. One thing that I have learned is not to wait until I have ascended to 15' to deploy it; it's hard for me not to drift shallower during the deployment. I deploy it at 25-30' and then wind up the spool as I ascend to SS depth. I like to be a little negative on the SS so I can hang from the SMB like a subway rider. In addition to making it easier to maintain SS depth, it pulls the SMB vertical so it's easier to see.
In the park nobody needs or uses reef hooks. Ifind then very usefull on cantarell when the eagle rays are flying by. Only spot i can think of to use them

In the park nobody needs or uses reef hooks. Ifind then very usefull on cantarell when the eagle rays are flying by. Only spot i can think of to use them
I would bet that the need to use reef hooks them varies widely based on the conditions of a given dive there.

I would bet that the need to use reef hooks them varies widely based on the conditions of a given dive there.
Firm believer in kiss. if rays are not around no need to hang around

You might find an OP that will allow you to practice with a hook on the divesites north of town. It’s out of the Marine Park, you can wear gloves and even hunt with a spear. That said, I have never heard of any dive OP using hooks here. Not all dive OPs go north. Try Aldora or Salty Endeavors.
Outside of the marine park you could practice with your reef hook. I have seen divers use them at cantarall while they are waiting / watching the eagle rays that used to frequent there in large numbers. You could go to tekila bar and practice your reef hook, smb deployments as there is a few concrete areas you can hook onto without risking any damage. As far as spearing underwater in the north or outside of the marine park it is 100% illegal to do so while on scuba. The only exception is lion fish. The commercial fishermen who go out daily also are permitted to use scuba. You can only spearfish if you are freediving.

Curious,so I’ll ask the obvious…what are the commercial fishermen taking on scuba ?

...I let the DM know that I will be deploying mine at the end of the dive and it doesn't mean that I am having trouble.
I think that's a key point if you decide to practice deploying your DSMB, @also_anon_dc. The DM may also tell the captain to expect to see another sausage at the surface. It just avoids unnecessary confusion.

I think that's a key point if you decide to practice deploying your DSMB, @also_anon_dc. The DM may also tell the captain to expect to see another sausage at the surface. It just avoids unnecessary confusion.
Usually I remember to do that but sometimes I forget until we are at depth. It's never been a problem either way; sometimes the DM and I will flash OK to each other when he (it's usually a he) sees my buoy go up and doesn't know ahead of time. It's more a courtesy than a problem avoidance.

Outside of the marine park you could practice with your reef hook. I have seen divers use them at cantarall while they are waiting / watching the eagle rays that used to frequent there in large numbers. You could go to tekila bar and practice your reef hook, smb deployments as there is a few concrete areas you can hook onto without risking any damage. As far as spearing underwater in the north or outside of the marine park it is 100% illegal to do so while on scuba. The only exception is lion fish. The commercial fishermen who go out daily also are permitted to use scuba. You can only spearfish if you are freediving.
To the best of my knowledge spearing of any fish, Pez Leon or others, by scuba is illegal throughout Mexico, other than an allowance for commercial fishermen that are members of a fishing corporative.
De facto verses De jure practice is another story. The authorities have turned a blind eye towards taking Pez Leon as a case of 'for the greater good'. That being said (having popped multiple thousands of Pez Leon as my hobby) it's a decent system as the reefs benefit from the harvest of Lion Fish but if the Yahoo's get out of hand it can be shutdown via existing law.

Reactions: JFS
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom