Are PST tanks top of the line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steel tanks have advantages and disadvantages when compared to AL tanks and I'm sure everyone here will be more than happy to point all those things out to you.

I would suggest the following after my own experiences with HP Steels, get the LP steel instead.

LP Steel tanks will have the same volume of air at a lower working pressure. They are much easier to fill as the lower pressure means many more compressors can fill the tank.

Typical LP steels have a working pressure of about 2250 PSI or so compared to 3500 psi for the HP version. The problem is most shop compressors will only manage to fill to about 3300 PSI before they run out of umph leaving you with a short fill for your tank, once it cools, of perhaps 3100 psi.

Have fun.

Paul.

LP tanks basically don't exist anymore, since the PST E-series are basically LP tanks rated for 3442 psi.

PST's E-series tanks seem to have better buoyancy and weight characteristics than any other tanks, so they're the steel tank of choice right now. They're especially good if you need a lot of weight on your weight belt, since most of them are ~ 5-6 pounds more negative when empty than an Al 80.. and you get more air.

If you wear little to no weight, a steel tank may make you overweighted or leave you with no ditchable weight, both of which are bad.

Basically if you can drop 5 pounds from your belt and still be happy and have some ditchable, go with an E-series tank.

It depends. How much do you want to spend? What is your air consumption? How many dives do you typically do in a series? How much weight do you wear? What are you diving from; shore, boat, etc?

The E-series are versatile tanks. The outside should be resistant to rust if properly cared for. I have seen significant rust less than a year after manufacture of the cylinders with proper care. That is a problem with steel, it doiesn't take much moisture for it to rust. The E-series tanks are not '+' rated, so they can be filled to max capacity for their lifetime. If you are filling to 3442 I would recommend DIN regs. Yokes can technically handle the pressure, but there is a better chance of problems.

Most shops will not have a problem filling to 3500 psi. There will definitely not be any problem in South Florida finding a place to get fills. Different story if you plan on using mixes besides air and Nitrox with less than 40% O2.

There is a lot that goes into deciding what tank is right for you. Use the search option, there is a lot here on various cylinders.

Problems using yoke at 3442 psi, eh?

What kind of problems have you run into with that configuration?

I recently bought a PST E8-119 and use it with a BP/W. Its been super so far. No problems getting a full fill at any LDS here in Fla. I ask to have it filled to 3700 - 3800 lbs and I end up with 3400 - 3550 lbs on my spg at the dive site.

fins1:
Is steel HP the way to go? Are PST E-series the best?

First off if you want a big tank, like a 130 or 120 they only come in steel. but to sizes between 72 and 100 yu could go either way.

I see you are in Florida. So with your warm water you likely don't use much weight. Here where everyone needs a 7MM ssuit people carry between 20 and 30 pounds of lead. The steel tanks added negative bouancy is good because it lets us us a little less lead.

Figure if you switch from an AL80 to an medium pressure (like 3442 psi) steel 80 you will need to remove about 4 or maybe 5 pound off your belt. Do you want that? Some peole _like_ ditchable weight.
Would you still have some? Look what the tank would do to your weight elt then decide

That saild. I'm buying a Faber 108 today. This tank is 3lb positive when empty. I don't ike that but it is being sold cheap and is like new.

jonnythan:
Problems using yoke at 3442 psi, eh?

What kind of problems have you run into with that configuration?

PST selected the 3442 PSI pressure because it is just under the limit of the yoke valves and regs with a small safty limit in case of an overfill.

On the other hand you can always under fill a PST "E series" tank to 3000 if you want. Many people do this because many boats can't fill past 3000 and some shops charge more for fill past 3000.

So, in other words, there are no problems using a yoke at 3442 psi. I get it.

jonnythan:
So, in other words, there are no problems using a yoke at 3442 psi. I get it.

Well, what I was told was that it isn't a problem for the tank/valve, and not a problem in the short-term for the reg, but using a yoke reg (which are usually only recommended for 3000 pounds) on the tanks filled to 3400 over a long time can put unnecssary pressure on the regs. The tech at my LDS said that he can see a difference in the amount of wear on the regs he service that use these tanks with a yoke connector.

Back
Top Bottom