Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drewh1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are transmitters brand specific or will they pair with anything? I have one from a Galileo that is perfectly fine, computer died and I would prefer to try another brand. Was hoping I could use this transmitter.

thanks.

See Post #9 and post #33 for current summary

yes and no so long as they use the same technology. I.e. shearwater and oceanic are compatible. I do not believe the Scubapro transmitter is compatible with any others

I just did a search on "pressure transmitter" and found four simultaneous nearly identical threads, all current. Jeez.

thanks tbone, and yes, I did find some other threads with helpful information.

Last edited:
I *think* Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, Sherwood, Aqualung, and Shearwater all use the same transmitters. But, ScubaPro uses their own that doesn't work with anything else.

I have an Oceanic and Shearwater transmitters. They both work with my Oceanic, Shearwater, and Hollis (which is gone now) computers.

If you want to continue to use your ScubaPro transmitter, you might check out the new Galileo 2 that was just released this past weekend. It is a lot nicer than the Galileo. It is more compact than the Galileo (1) and has a color screen similar to the Shearwater Petrel/Perdix.

I just did a search on "pressure transmitter" and found four simultaneous nearly identical threads, all current. Jeez.
Problem is, older threads get buried, members don't do an efficient search, and the question is asked and answered all over again. See List of Perdix AI compatible transmitters posts #5 and #9. @RainPilot was thinking of a sticky for this topic in this subforum, that would be a good idea.

Oceanic, (discontinued Aeris), (discontinued Hollis), Aqua Lung, Sherwood, (discontinued Tusa), and Shearwater transmitters are all the same transmitter, manufactured by the OEM, Pelagic Pressure Systems (now owned by Aqua Lung), and marked on the end battery cap with FCC ID MH8A

Suunto, Scubapro, Mares, Ratio/Seac, (discontinued Liquivison), and Heinrichs Weikamp (not available in US) transmitters are proprietary and will only work within the brand.

Updated 3-31-20 by scubadada

See Post #9 for current summary

I've made this thread a sticky as it's more general than the Perdix question. Craig, would you mind cross posting the table you had of the brands? That should complete the useful info here.

I've made this thread a sticky as it's more general than the Perdix question. Craig, would you mind cross posting the table you had of the brands? That should complete the useful info here.
Hi Brendon,

All the brands that I know of are listed and highlighted above (#6) in two groups, Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitters, and others. The FCC authorization for MH8A to PPS and a picture of the endcap marking are in post #5 of the linked thread you started yesterday.

Good diving, Craig

upload_2020-10-21_10-0-42.png

*See footnote below regarding the Shearwater Swift AI transmitter

**See footnote below regarding Apeks

Heinrichs Weikamp discontinued the OSTC 2 TR and no longer offers AI, see post #31

upload_2020-10-21_10-1-2.png

upload_2020-10-21_10-1-22.png

Pelagic Pressure Systems was part of American Underwater Products, founded by Bob Hollis in 1972 (Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, PPS...). PPS was acquired by Aqua Lung in May 2015. Aeris was folded into Oceanic in September 2014. Oceanic and Hollis were acquired by Huish Outdoors in May 2017

*In July 2021, Shearwater launched their own AI transmitter, the Swift, see their website for details The next generation SWIFT AI Transmitter - Shearwater Research The Swift is manufactured by Shearwater, not Pelagic Pressure Systems. The Swift has a new FCC ID 2A024-17001, but is compatible with computers using MH8A, including all Shearwater computers.

**Apeks brand is owned by Aqua Lung. The DSX computer uses a typical PPS MH8A transmitter, as all Aqua Lung computers do.

Updated 5/20/23

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom