Are integrated dry gloves DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, while I'm visiting the exposure suit forum (to start a thread begging for info on where to get a DUI dry hood) I thought I'd ask a question that been on my mind:

Are intergrated (using those plastic rings) dry gloves DIR? I've dive most of the year (here in NE) with 5 fingers or my mitts, but, as the surface temp really drops I like to have dry hands. Right now I have a pair of non-integrated Diving Concepts dry gloves (using a hard straw to add air to them) that are pretty good, except they are a real pain to put on (which can be a problem on a boain cold weather) One of my buddie is now sporting an integrated pair that seem very easy to use, but, it just seems like you could really flood your suit bad in the event of a glove failure. Is this a big risk? I tore my non-integrated on a wreck a while ago and while my hand and arm where a little wet, it was managable, but, with a fully intergrated glove I would think I might have experienced a full flood, a big problem in cold water.

Any thoughts?

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
One of my buddie is now sporting an integrated pair that seem very easy to use, but, it just seems like you could really flood your suit bad in the event of a glove failure

When I was at my LDS a couple days ago we were talking about drysuits. The conversation moved towards gloves, and I expressed concerns over being limited to dry gloves if I went with dry gloves.

As it turned out, the dry glove system he was talking about didn't actually integrate directly into the suit. The rings are glued onto the suit, but the wrist seals remain intact, so you can still use wet gloves [or no gloves].

Now I don't know about the DIR side of your question, expecially with the rings remaining on the wrists, but it gets around the flooding issue.

I have a Diving Concepts drysuit with Diving Concepts gloves. My LDS strongly advised using the non-integrated kind, i.e. keeping your wrist seals...thats the way mine is.

Spectre once bubbled...
As it turned out, the dry glove system he was talking about didn't actually integrate directly into the suit. The rings are glued onto the suit, but the wrist seals remain intact, so you can still use wet gloves [or no gloves].

:stupid: Nevermind... I just re-read your post.

(using a hard straw to add air to them) that are pretty good, except they are a real pain to put on (which can be a problem on a boain cold weather)

Since so many seem to swear by the straw & tubing method, can I ask what the issue with getting 'em on is?

...not sure what I am going to do yet. However, with most of the systems I have looked at so far, as Spectre mentioned, you have the option of mounting them with the wrist seals intact or removed. The wrist seals intact seems like the no-brainer, but you have to run straws/tubing. I, like Spectre, am interested to hear what the issues with those are since I do not know anybody around me diving with that setup.

With the DC rings you can set the seal however you want... full wrist seal contact or just a hole that your wrist fits through.

With it set for full wrist seal you need the tubes... no big deal to insert them. With it set for just a hole by moving your wrist you can let air pass back and forth... you could even make the hole big enough that air is unrestricted at all times... but then so is water in the event of a glove tear.

I leave my wrist seals in full contact with my wrists and insert the tubes... leaving enough sticking out that should I have a glove flood I can remove the glove... pull the tube... and replace the glove which will then function as a wet glove backed up by my wrist seal.

Now... the older DC rings were slightly smaller in diameter and it was a little more difficult to snap the gloves on and off. The newer ones are easier. I also shine up the O-ring with silicone every so often and this makes a huge difference.

WARNING: if you are using nitrox to inflate your drysuit you must not use silicone or your o-rings will explode and amputate your hands at the wrists!!! Only use O2 safe lube or oxygen compatible spit. The preceeding paragraph was a joke.

WARNING: if you are using nitrox to inflate your drysuit you must not use silicone or your o-rings will explode and amputate your hands at the wrists!!! Only use O2 safe lube or oxygen compatible spit. The preceeding paragraph was a joke.
It is sad that the general knowledge level in the industry about elevated o2 mixes is such that you need that disclaimer about it being a joke..

But it was a good one :)

UP,

HA HA HA, You so funny. Has anyone tried the rings with neoprene seals? That is what I have, so I may try them or wait till I replace with latex.

ERic

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
WARNING: if you are using nitrox to inflate your drysuit you must not use silicone or your o-rings will explode and amputate your hands at the wrists!!! Only use O2 safe lube or oxygen compatible spit

I thought that was only an issue if you were using high O2 blends [> 40%] for your backgas?

Jeff, the well dressed technical diver would be using argon as a suit inflation gas... so I suppose he could lather his o-rings up with silicone and be safe... but if he forgot his tubes he just might blow his gloves off on ascent. :D

O-ring.... I almost added: "The precending sentence is for O-ring." but I deleted it before posting... :D

Eric... they might work with neoprene seals but it would be a real chore fitting the rings to the suit with the extra thickness because you need to turn the sleeve inside out... install the ring... and then turn the sleeve back again with the ring in there... unless your suit is stretchy (CF200 isn't bad) it really is a pain even with latex seals... I didn't know if I could get the new larger rings turned in my Andy's Trilam... it was real close... and that was with latex. Check out DCI's webpage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom