Are DUI dry suits overrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had zip seals on my first DUI drysuit ... a CLX450 I used for teaching. After about a year I sent the suit back and had them retrofit standard seals on the suit. My reason was that the latex on the zip seals didn't seem to hold up all that well, and those things are expensive ... $135 for a neck seal I got maybe 30 dives on before the latex started breaking down.

Personally, I prefer doing my own replacements using OS Systems seals ... they seem to hold up better than the ones DUI uses.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've owned a DUI TLS350 as well as a Poseiden, USIA and three different Diving Concepts. The DUI was a custom made cave cut that cost me $1800. It was the worst suit I owned. In over 100 dives, it leaked on 90. I sent it back to DUI twice but they couldn't find a leak. When I got it back the second time I ran a light inside the suit. There were pinholes all over both legs. I have buddies who have not had problems with their DUI suits, but I won't buy another one.

Will your LDS airlift themselves to a boat?

It's not an LDS it's a dry suit only specialty shop and; yes. yes they will
:rofl3:

3500 for a TLS is high, that price should get you a signature CLX450, just ordered mine, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my Bare Trilam HD ATR, it is a nice suit also, but after trying(again) the CLX at Pearl for Demo days, made the decision and paid for the most comfortable drysuit I ever dove, should be in soon

I had zip seals on my first DUI drysuit ... a CLX450 I used for teaching. After about a year I sent the suit back and had them retrofit standard seals on the suit. My reason was that the latex on the zip seals didn't seem to hold up all that well, and those things are expensive ... $135 for a neck seal I got maybe 30 dives on before the latex started breaking down.

Personally, I prefer doing my own replacements using OS Systems seals ... they seem to hold up better than the ones DUI uses.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you have the setup to change a neck seal, I'm curious... did you consider cutting the ring off DUI's neck seal and mounting it on your own OS Systems seal instead?

I use the "dog collar" set up that Viking offers on all my suits, I can change both neck seal and dry hood in seconds.

3500 for a TLS is high, that price should get you a signature CLX450, just ordered mine, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my Bare Trilam HD ATR, it is a nice suit also, but after trying(again) the CLX at Pearl for Demo days, made the decision and paid for the most comfortable drysuit I ever dove, should be in soon

I have to agree with you on this one. CLX 450 is the way to go, comfort and durability in one...

2lve1zr.jpg

I don't have a TLS 350, but I do have a CF200 that is many years old. Love it. My dive pals still compare their other brand suits against it. Worth the money? I have no complaints. I can't say the same for those I dive with who have other suits.

Back
Top Bottom