Are DUI dry suits overrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About DUI: People who have them say they fit absolutely perfectly and are very comfortable, probably as a result of the light trilam. If cost is no object and comfort is your top priority then this is probably the best suit for you.
Another happy TLS-350 owner here. :D

If cost is as consideration and/or actually being waterproof is important to you, then the DUI suits will disappoint you. Almost everyone I know personally who has a DUI suit says they leak. In fact, there is a joke that DUI stands for "Dry Until Immersed" and there is certainly some evidence to support that. The trilam just isn't robust enough to take any kind of punishment and there have been a lot of problems with the Apeks valves (not DUI's fault--except their choice to use them--and I'm not sure of the present status).
I've now done 90 dives with my suit in the last year.

No leaks so far. The (latex) zip seals are showing minuscule cracks but still keep me dry.

Yes, the suit has flooded once but the only one I can blame for that is me. :blush: Not hooking up the drysuit inflator properly tends to allow the water in every time you add some air to the suit...

I've no complaints about its durability so far (including the time I lost my footing while leaving the water and rolled down the dike...)

Yes, there are cheaper trilam drysuits. I've tried a few of them and the DUI came out #1.

About DUI: People who have them say they fit absolutely perfectly and are very comfortable, probably as a result of the light trilam. If cost is no object and comfort is your top priority then this is probably the best suit for you.

If cost is as consideration and/or actually being waterproof is important to you, then the DUI suits will disappoint you. Almost everyone I know personally who has a DUI suit says they leak. In fact, there is a joke that DUI stands for "Dry Until Immersed" and there is certainly some evidence to support that. The trilam just isn't robust enough to take any kind of punishment and there have been a lot of problems with the Apeks valves (not DUI's fault--except their choice to use them--and I'm not sure of the present status).

I won't argue about the TLS trilam being only nominally robust, because I agree. The older Apeks valves that were a big problem have been redesigned, however, and are no longer a problem. In addition, if you prefer, for a very reasonable cost they will install SiTek valves instead of the Apeks, whichever you prefer.

I usually dive a Bare Bilam NexGen. Light weight, rugged as it needs to be and (until the neck seal got old) never had a leak problem (I have had the seal replaced.) I wear the Bare 100g underthings that came with it and have never been cold even aftr three dives in 50 degree water. I've used the suit everywhere from Wisconsin to Monterey California. My only complaint with it is it is a rear zip. I spent less than $600.00 new for it.

I went to DOG days and tried out a DUI. Compared to the Bare itwas easier to don and I did like the replaceable seals. However, the arms and legs were tight enough they prevented the 200g DUI undergarment from fully lofting and thus my arms and legs goit cold during a dive in 60 degree water (something that never happened in my Bare.) In addition one of the wrist seals leaking leaving my left arm drenched. It also was heavier, required more weight (I know, kind of odd eh?) and left me feeling constricted during the whole dive, it also required more effort to swim in than my Bare NexGen. Then they said I could buy it for $3K, I politely declined.

AS "top" dog, they get top price, until we get tired of them.

Mike

I don't have any experience with DUI drysuits, but strictly on a price basis, there are a lot of very good non-DUI dry suits out there for less than $2000, probably less than $1500.
I have a Bare nexgen with ~50 dives on it, all fresh water dives. Because Bare offers so many standard sizes I was able to get a suit that fits me like a custom suit for ~$800.
I have not had a single leak in my dry suit yet. Everything is holding up pretty well, time will tell how durable it is.
The life-time warranty on seams is a plus:

Lifetime Guarantee - A Warranty Done Right
At BARE we take our commitment to product quality seriously. Our drysuits in particular are legendary for their durability and longevity with many of our customers getting a full lifetime of use out of their BARE drysuit before passing it on to a friend or family member. This has allowed us to offer something that no other drysuit manufacturer has been able to do: a Lifetime Guarantee on seams and workmanship.

Much more than a warranty, BARE is the first and only drysuit manufacturer to offer a Lifetime Guarantee. Except for normal wear and tear, misuse or negligence, BARE will honor all claims against seams and workmanship for the life of the drysuit worldwide. Even if you’re not the original owner, you’re covered.

Bare may give a lifetime warranty on the seams and workmanship, but I always felt such "lifetime" warranties are a bit disingenuous. Most suits don't fail due to manufacturer defects (which would be covered) except in the first few years, where pretty much ALL drysuit manufacturers would fix them under warranty. After a few years, any seam failures are likely to be a result of wear and tear, which is NOT covered under warranty, including Bare.

DUI has a 7 year warranty on everything except the zipper and valves, which is pretty good (one year on that). Not quite as good as Bare's, no, but then, two things to consider:

1) As I said above, covered "defects" generally don't happen after 7 years of service... they're generally excluded as wear and tear problems.

2) DUI's warranty repairs are done right here in the U.S. (international peeps can ignore that benefit) instead of having to ship the drysuit across the border to Canada.

And then there are zip seals. No one else offers zip seals. That's a BIG factor in my decision, personally.

I can't find any info on whether Bare warranties the zippers and valves, so far. The only info online is the text quoted in the post above... leads me to believe they're not covered. In that case, DUI's one year coverage, limited though that may be, definitely wins for that very expensive item.

Last edited:
Our drysuits in particular are legendary for their durability and longevity with many of our customers getting a full lifetime of use out of their BARE drysuit before passing it on to a friend or family member.

I guess this is true, as long as that person was born and started diving in 1980 - the year the BARE brand was born - before quitting diving (and dieing, one would presume) and passing that suit along.

29 years is not bad longevity for a drysuit, but not so good for a "lifetime."

:D

Last edited:
i think DUI are way to much i use a whites nexus 3 and my dad uses a diverite 906 exp and we both love our suits they were both about 1.5k mine that included the undergarment and over boots the dive rite has attached boots they are both very durable and other people i know who have them wouldnt use anything else like use. i would check those out if i were you

Stock DUI suits aren't much more expensive than all these other suits. Maybe a few hundred more in starting price. As someone else mentioned, people like to compare decked out custom suits to other suits which are mostly all stock sizes.

Last night I picked up my new CLX 450 Signature Series. It was measured for me by Custom Diving Services in Barrie, Ontario. I presently wear a Northern Diver Cortex with several modifications which I love, however, after loosing a pile of weight it fits me very poorly.

When the DUI arrived Scott (the guy that owns CDS) measured my wrist and neck then trimmed the seals to size. Putting the suit on was incredible compared to my ND. It was so light yet tough as nails. I got the lighter poly on the legs. Although I'm a wreck diver I generally muscle my way into a hole head first so I wanted it tougher up top.

As a Technical Diver I really like the telescoping torso. I couldn't believe there was no resistance from the suit when I reached. My ND fits well enough but I get "pit-strain" when I crank my arms back really far. The Rock Boots are very comfortable too and are a better design for power transfer than the built-in boot offered by my present suit.

The real test, of course, will be diving it. I'll give it a workout too as I'll be safety diver on a wreck course with a bottom time of over 2 hours. That's the short dive. Glad I got the P-Valve!

For me the DUI was the only suit I really wanted. After personally speaking with many divers with DUI suits (and there's no shortage of them) I think I'll be as happy with the suit in the water as I was when I first tried it on. As for the price.... damn expensive but nothing good comes cheap. My suit cost $2500USD and was tricked out with all the options (except the Zip Seals - unnecessary for me in my opinion) and was custom tailored.

K, now I have to throw my beautiful new DUI suit into the truck and drive for 3 hours to some of the best diving in North America: Brockville, Ontario!

I'll really let you know if I think the suit was worth in when I return....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom