Are drysuits durable/rip proof?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stakanak

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Living in Southern California I frequently take advantage of the phenomenal shore diving. Most of my 45 dives have been from shore. Some of the entries (my favorite spot so far) require sliding off of a large boulder into the surge. I have torn my 4/3 wetsuit in the buttocks twice now doing this.
To the questions:
1. Will the same thing happen with a dry suit, i.e. ass rip?
2.Are tears more prevalent with laminate or crushed neoprene?
3.Am I being a cheap SOB?
:D
Get Wet!

well anything can be torn or ripped. If you doing things that will cut/rip I woulds suggest I crushed/neo suit as they are extremly tough. But if you tear it I heard they are harder to patch. Also downside is they are heavy and take a long time to dry. Tri-lam suits are not as durable but if the get a whole are very easy to patch "I hear"

I have had my Bare Tri-lam suit for about 2 years and bout 60 dives with no issues. I would say about 10 dives are shore dives where I hoping over a ledge into the water and Rock climbing my way out on my hands/knees but no tares. I guess just try to be more carefull or find a new way in.

Find some spots where you can dive in.

Despite that. When I'm under there doing all the skills that are constantly suggested, because no one has built stairs I also include looking for exit and clear entry points.

So when the swell is up and so is the shelf and when the surfers run past me and fly in, I walk to the edge with my fins strapped to my chest and dive or plonk head first.

Never dive dry doing backbeach, no time to be cold but very invigorating in winter.

If you are shredding wetsuits then a drysuit will have a hard time too. Some will hold up longer but it will be harsh treatment for such an expensive item.

Some premium suits like DUI will let you add extra wear pads to places like the knees, elbows, buttocks and crotch.

Pete

well anything can be torn or ripped. If you doing things that will cut/rip I woulds suggest I crushed/neo suit as they are extremly tough. But if you tear it I heard they are harder to patch. Also downside is they are heavy and take a long time to dry. Tri-lam suits are not as durable but if the get a whole are very easy to patch "I hear"

Hmmmm...I agree with you on the first bit.

There are different trilam suits available, I have a Pinnacle Evo 2 and it's as tough as nails, but it is stiffer than other suits. (So I'm told, I've never dived anything else so I don't know any different.) One of my buddies commented last week that he could prob'ly drag me along behind his car in my drysuit and it's be fine. I don't think it's too far off!

Another buddy of mine had a neo suit and got a number of pin holes from sea urchins. I am pretty sure that neo suits are easier to fix than trilam.

If you were dragging over rocks 'n stuff, I'd check out the Evo 3 or what cave divers are using.

That's my 2 denier worth! :D

Everything is relative. To me, drysuits are very delicate — but I can wear through the knees of hot water suits in an 8 hour dive (not a unique experience). If you are putting holes in your wetsuit now, you will cold and wet in any drysuit developed thus far.

My opinion would go with the CF200 DUI, I dive this suit Ice, shore, wreck my only other suggestion would go with the Rock boots for entry on granite or sharp shale type rock.

Enjoy

My opinion would go with the CF200 DUI, I dive this suit Ice, shore, wreck my only other suggestion would go with the Rock boots for entry on granite or sharp shale type rock.

Enjoy

How is the OP gonna protect his ass with rockboots? You must wear yours differently then I do.

To the OP, you are gonna spend big money to get a suit that is tough enough to take what you a dishing out. The extra wear pads are a good idea, as well as wearing pocket shorts or something else over top of the drysuit to act as a wear layer.

But I think you are much better off finding another way in and out of the water.

FYI- I was also beaten as a child :)

Back
Top Bottom