Are Drysuit Undergarments really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It also helps to know the length of time you want to dive. "Temperature ratings" without a time attached to them aren't telling the whole story.

there is something to be said for rite tool for the rite job. good question
and the answer to it is that many people have tried to short cut and save money but
buy it once buy it rite and care for it and get your monies worth
the more you dive the cheeper the pro undergarment is.but there is problems diving cold. so dive dive dive and know there is no problem diving cold water

so why are drysuit undergarments any different than skiing attire? what's a "pro" undergarment?
You can use the longer stuff from underarmour, but it's still designed for more "active" sports. Some will say scuba is active, but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not. The thing with the cold gear is it's primarily designed to wick to help keep you warm. The fibers have some insulating quality, but it's designed to wick. Which is great for certain parts. I still wear UA boxers. They're longer stuff is not primarily aimed at keeping you warm. The REI stuff does that, it's wicked thin, and is truly a base layer, not primary insulation. For some, it's warm enough, for others it's not. It's identical to the Xerotherm baselayer, but much cheaper. For above mid 60's, you won't need anything else. Once you get into 50 and below though, you want to have the Arctic, there is simply nothing else in the market quite like it. For the price, it's quite cheap, but rather unnecessary unless you're doing wicked cold water.
For the caves, there's no reason to spend twice as much for any "branded" stuff that is going to be the same as the REI stuff.

So back to the OP. There is no science behind the drysuit undergarments. They have some nice added features. Stirrups on the ankles, thumb loops, and crotch straps. All of which can be found in ski gear. No reason the ski gear can't work for drysuit undies. I hate jumpsuits, mainly because they're impractical. They're huge and bulky, and don't promote layering, which if you look at the cold weather people, everything is about layering. Can adjust your thermals easily, and instead of blowing $600 on one jumpsuit, and find out it's too hot, your sol. Layer, and you just add or remove layers and your good. Cotton works fine, just not when wet, so it's not ideal, Polartec/thinsulate type stuff is ideal from a fiber standpoint. Using normal clothes isn't a problem as long as you chose the right stuff. The undergarments used in cold weather mountaineering/backpacking is what you want to look for as that is comparable to the activity level we are doing, and similar thermally.

A huge concern I have is an undergarments ability to insulate when wet. This is why I dive Thinsulate with underarmour coldgear under it. And there is some science behind it, and it is designed to be compressed (like you'd find in a drysuit) and still insulate.

From what I've seen, fleece doesn't do a great job of insulating while wet.

Okay, so supposing I was going to shoot for 90mins at 45-55F and wanted to only use undergarments that were non-SCUBA specific. What's the recommendation?

They're huge and bulky, and don't promote layering, which if you look at the cold weather people, everything is about layering. Can adjust your thermals easily, and instead of blowing $600 on one jumpsuit, and find out it's too hot, your sol.

I did an Arctic surface expedition once to film polar bears. This was peak arctic winter. One thing that I did learn about surviving cold is that there is no single layer garment that will save you. You need layers. The science behind this is obvious. the more layers you put between yourself and the cold outside, the colder it has to be outside your outermost shell to cool every subsequent layer till your body begins to feel cold. I am thinking why do we forget this basic rule when it comes to drysuits? How can we put all our faith on a single layered jump-suit which no Arctic explorer or winter sport enthusiast would ever trust.

I also have trouble comprehending the theory that drysuit undergarments keep you warm while you are wet! If there was any truth in this why even use a drysuit? Why not try ice diving with just that "magical fabric" that keeps you warm when soaking with ice water?:confused: Is it even possible? Or can the marketing gurus make us believe in whatever they would like us to believe?

Bulk (layering), flexibility, insulation while wet, and buoyancy all come into play here. Would you go somewhere cold with a down jacket? I would. Would you take that same down jacket diving? No, of course not. It compresses too much and is worthless when wet.

You can't always apply surface logic to diving.

Why couldn't you wear a wetsuit as your undergarment? Aside from a little restriction in my movement, they do a great job at keeping me warm, especially when I get wet. I'm not a drysuit diver yet, so there's probably something I'm missing here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom