Are Drysuit Undergarments really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark, if I tried to spend an hour in 38 degree water in what you describe, I'd be in the hospital. An hour in 48 degree water, in the purpose-made and VERY thick combination Thinsulate/artificial down undergarment I use, and with a heavy, wicking base layer, leaves me cold enough to start shivering when I get out of the water!

Can anyone comment on polypropylene vs polyester thermals? I know to avoid cotton, but should I also be avoiding polyester? I found a 150g 100% polyester base layer at a reasonably low price.

Polyester is what most of the polarfleece is made out of, all of the 4th element undies, and all Polartec, so no reason why you shouldn't avoid it....

and re. what he wore in 38, that sounds about right for what I wear, and have the same issues with my toes, but that's it. Hands start to get a little stiff after an hour, but other than that I'm good. All depends on how you handle the cold

Polyester is what most of the polarfleece is made out of, all of the 4th element undies, and all Polartec, so no reason why you shouldn't avoid it....

No reason I shouldn't avoid it? So I shouldn't use it? :idk:

AfterDark, if I tried to spend an hour in 38 degree water in what you describe, I'd be in the hospital. An hour in 48 degree water, in the purpose-made and VERY thick combination Thinsulate/artificial down undergarment I use, and with a heavy, wicking base layer, leaves me cold enough to start shivering when I get out of the water!

You have my sympathies TSandM. I remember the days when I couldn’t take much cold. Thirty years and 30 pounds later I can tolerate the cold much better.
The dive before the one I reported on, I was in a 7MM wet suit, farmer john bottom, 7mm top a 2mm hooded vest, neoprene socks and 5mm boots. The temp was 42F@40fsw surface temp 48F, dive duration 1hour 15 min. I started to get chilly on the way a back. I guess a lifetime of cold water diving has caused me to “evolve”.

Only if one desires to stay warm.

the K

I wear the same stuff I used skiing. Tried to find things that didn't have zippers to dig at seals or my neck. Lots of loft and good wicking of moisture away from the skin, warm when wet. Works just fine for the typical recreational diver. Expedition dives would be another story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom