are double 80's dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one's mentioned the additional physical exertion that doubles require. It can be hard. When I first needed to use doubles my Diving Safety Officer would not let me go operational with them until I completed the circuit swim exercise in the same time that was required of divers wearing a single. It took me three tries with doubles even though I held the program record with a single.

Thalassamania:
No one's mentioned the additional physical exertion that doubles require. It can be hard. When I first needed to use doubles my Diving Safety Officer would not let me go operational with them until I complete the circuit swim exercise in the same time that was required of divers wearing a single. It took me three tries with doubles even though I held the program record with a single.

I think you should add that to your record-setting user profile. Surely, you can squeeze it in there some place.

"go operational"? I love that one.

Stephen Ash:
I think you should add that to your record-setting user profile. Surely, you can squeeze it in there some place.
Record breaking ... hardly, I just skimmed the good parts.:D

Stephen Ash:
"go operational"? I love that one.
It warms the cockles of my heart to know that simple ole me can amuse you.:rofl3:

I ll research the valve drill, and anyhow, I ll be taking fundies shortly.

Would split fins (tusa) have enough trust for the twins?

You need to get rid of the split fins for Fundies, anyway.

My take on this? It's well worth spending the time to get your buoyancy and trim completely nailed in a single tank before moving to doubles. Balancing the rig fore and aft can be challenging, and most of the people I see in doubles aren't horizontal. Getting the feel for that flat position and the knees up before you change to double tanks is something I think is worth while.

You know, I think that TSandM has made a good point here. When I made the transition to doubles, it went relatively smoothly for me, but I think that is because I had figured out my trim, bouyancy, propulsion, etc, beforehand in singles, and knew how to adjust and fix it before I stepped up to doubles. Except for back kicks, that is.:light:

OK just only have had time to read thru the first page and there is good salient advice from my DIR brothers.

Here is a thought. Go on and step up to a HP 130. You get a buttload more gas than your Al 80, can still dive it in a wetsuit.

And when you are ready to twin your tanks, you need only purchase another 130 and a manifold. . .and a drysuit.

Hope this helps,

T

Double 80's dangerous? They are no more dangerous than the diver using them.

I agree with Tevis.. Being a newish diver, I'd say go with a 120 or so for now work on trim, buoyancy, air consumption..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom