Are Current SP regs better than A.I.R.1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been diving my Scubapro A.I.R.1 since the early 1980's. I went to my LDS recently, and was told that none of the manufacturers are now publishing the performance characteristics of their regulators. Is this because the current regulators have not yet matched or out-performed the Scubapro Air Inhalation Regulator secord stage (A.I.R.1)? My gut feeling is that this is the case, in which case one has to ask, what's all the hype about current models?

One thing I do know, not many regulators will match the exhaust valve area of the A.I.R.I, and the inhalation performance characteristics start at about 1 inch of water and go down from there. At depth, there is almost no inhalation resistance other than cracking resistance.

My theory is that if they are set up with an exhaust valve that is not on the diaphram, then there must be at least 1 inch cracking pressure in order for the regulator not to bubble in certain positions. Therefore, current regulators with separated diaphram and exhaust valve have met a design wall when trying to get better breathing resistance. Any comments?

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom