Are corded lights a thing of the past?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite light is a corded can light from DiveRite, NLA. It started out as 500 lumen and I sent it back and they upgraded to 750 lumen. Now, you say, 750 lumen, what good is that! Well, it also throws a very wide evenly lit beam that can light an entire reef at night, like a super moon but the light is soft so it does not burn the eyes out of critteres. Then using knowledge gained on the Flashlight Forum (there is or was a forum for everything) I bumped it up to about 1,000 lumen. And it will run an entire trip on eight AA batteries. And as such lights go it is very small and lightweight. I sure wish they would bring it back. Oh, I forgot, it can be switched over to a single unit configuration with no cord.

James
I had to take another look, but sure enough, I see this is the Cave Diving forum. Wide beams are nice for reefs, not favored by most for cave diving unless the beam width is adjustable. But it is interesting to note that some people like corded lights even for reef diving. Why not.

I had to take another look, but sure enough, I see this is the Cave Diving forum. Wide beams are nice for reefs, not favored by most for cave diving unless the beam width is adjustable. But it is interesting to note that some people like corded lights even for reef diving. Why not.

I would use the light for cave use for the same reason I use it for OW. It produces a wide, flat beam of equal brightness that gives an eerie, almost ghostly appearance to some caverns and interior rooms, or the reef. The shadows and contrast against the limestone is pretty. And that contrast gets washed out with the bright pencil beams. It is like bringing the moon with me. But it is not a good signal light, waving it around would get no attention as there is little difference in luminosity of the beam. I have not had the best impressions with variable lights but there are probably some that do manage that. So, yes, you are right, my light I described would be more of a specialty use light for caves, not a general purpose.

I would use the light for cave use for the same reason I use it for OW. It produces a wide, flat beam of equal brightness that gives an eerie, almost ghostly appearance to some caverns and interior rooms, or the reef. The shadows and contrast against the limestone is pretty. And that contrast gets washed out with the bright pencil beams. It is like bringing the moon with me. But it is not a good signal light, waving it around would get no attention as there is little difference in luminosity of the beam. I have not had the best impressions with variable lights but there are probably some that do manage that. So, yes, you are right, my light I described would be more of a specialty use light for caves, not a general purpose.
When we get to dive together I'll bring my LD-40, it's an experience!

I'm seeing more and more people with a goodman and a cordless light. Personally I am planning to try this next dive. Wonder if we can do a poll on cordless/corded?

Maybe it's not an issue for sidemount? I have no idea. But for backmounting in a DIR-ish way, after the long hose is extended to the OOG diver and the reg is in the OOG diver's mouth, you have to remember that the rest of the long hose is tucked under the light canister. At that point, if you want to give the OOG diver the full length of long hose, you have to take the light head from your left hand, pass it under the now-extended long hose, and put it back on your left hand. Then un-tuck the long hose from under the canister light. If you forget to pass the light head under the hose, it will interfere with the full deployment of the long hose. Reverse the steps when taking the reg back from the OOG diver. I guess there are other ways to route the light cord, but that's what I was taught.
Were you taught the saying "the S-Drill is underway. Then the drill is over" as a way to remember what way to move the canister light to get it clear of the long hose? I always say that in my head no matter how many times I've done the drill to remember to put lighthead under the long hose during deployment, then over top when stowing the hose. Underway refers to a boat moving under its own power btw for the SB users that are not familiar with the term.

I'm seeing more and more people with a goodman and a cordless light. Personally I am planning to try this next dive. Wonder if we can do a poll on cordless/corded?
For all the benefits stated above; most serious divers -- not all though -- would be using an umbilical light as opposed to a "cordless".
  • Integrated battery torches are heavier than umbilical lights (due to the weight of the battery)
  • Umbilical torches are attached to the diver, Neptune struggles to steal them for his locker. If using a standalone torch there's this nagging feeling of paranoia when clipping it off that it won't be there for long.
  • Umbilical batteries can be used for other things such as suit heaters
  • Umbilical batteries last longer
  • Umbilical torches can be a lot brighter, better light focus, dual use such as video lighting
  • Umbilical torches last longer
  • Umbilical batteries can be attached to your backmounted rebreather, or on your backside if sidemount
  • etc.
Generally umbilicals cost more; integrated tends to cost less.

Were you taught the saying "the S-Drill is underway. Then the drill is over" as a way to remember what way to move the canister light to get it clear of the long hose? I always say that in my head no matter how many times I've done the drill to remember to put lighthead under the long hose during deployment, then over top when stowing the hose. Underway refers to a boat moving under its own power btw for the SB users that are not familiar with the term.
Yes, that was the mnemonic I was taught.

My can light head flooded and I bought a cheap big blue 4800 handheld.
I have done only a few dives with it and I’m researching which can light to purchase as I don’t like the cordless.
There were things I liked about my razor can light but the companies quality control is horrid.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom