Are apollo bio fins really the best fins in the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everybody for their opinions. As a side note, I purchased the appollos to have more power than my Tusa z3 x-pert zoom.
My Tusa fins are super comfortable but seem to be very short on power in surge and current. I have not yet used the
new Appollos but I'm still hoping that they both "comfortable and powerful!".

Could I suggest you have a Mod spilt some of this into a separate thread? I think a lot of this deserves a thread of its own.

My plan at present is to begin the prep work for the video on OPTIMAL FINNING TECHNIQUES and matching Kick to Fin.....at the DEMA Show next week..... I will be talking to several of the Fin manufactures about getting them involved in this, but telling them upfront that there will be no bias....but they do have the ability to have an "expert
with their fin, show the proper techniques for their specific fin....this DOES change from fin to fin, enormously...something complettely lacking in dive agency training and propaganda. I expect Bob Evans of Force Fin will cooperate, I expect Apollo ot refuse, and that's fine, I will easily get a pair :), I will talk to scubapro and see if they will cooperate--though with them it would be a GUE instructor doing the specifics for that fin....I will talk to DiveR and to Cressi, I will try to get a meet regarding the Quatros and a few other major paddle fins.

One thing I may film is taking a non-diver, non-snorkeler with no fin skills, and putting each pair of fins on them--then shoot the mechanics and resultant efficiency of their propulsion....this will be a cyclist or triathlete with good muscle fitness and coordination, but zero skill with any fin when they start this.

Then, after they are shown the proper mechanics by an expert, and practiced for 15 minutes or so, shoot them again....the video would certainly be showing the expert doing the fin technique for the non-diver, and the result for them.

A final part of the dive will be a group dive, with each of the fins tested present on an "expert", and the team leader will be on a Gavin scooter with the props set to a slow forward speed, one that should be a "middle" speed for divers in general, and the group will follow this pace. Afterward, we can look at a comparison of the way each fin assists the diver in maintaining exactly this pace.....notably, there will be lots of going from the offshore fingers ( extreme east side of north-south trending reef-line) across the crown to the extreme west side to the inshore ledge.....In Palm Beach, many divers like beginning on the fingers at 90 feet or so, staying there for 5 to 10 minutes, then swimming UP the face of the outer reef wall --up onto the crown at about 45 to 50 feet deep, and then swimming West across the crown to the inshore ledge....the side current ( Gulf stream drift) makes Apollo fins non-functional in my experience having to drag so many split fins users along here, so they could make it to the inshore ledge. The fact that my fins not only make it easy for me to get there, but even drag a split fin wearing diver across current as well, should indicate a big difference between fin quality exists. But, this "could be" a technique issue also, as many slit fin wearers have never been told they are kicking incorrectly, and never thought about how they might improve on this.

How does this sound so far ?

So far? .....it sounds like you have your work cut out for you! I just hope that by the time you've completed this project I won't be too old to make any use of it.

Your method sound infinitely more complex than my old fin test: With eyes closed, have a different type of fin on each foot and swim across the bottom of a pool. Repeat in the opposite direction. The better fin should tend to push toward the opposite side (differential thrust.) Of course this only works for fins of similar design that require the same type of kick.

I'm looking forward to the results of your test.

Couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom