Are all undergarments created equal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does it make a great deal of difference what material one's undergarments are made of as long as it's a standard undergarment made for diving at a certain temperature range?

One can always be warmer by wearing thicker undergarments and thereby having to use more weight to offset the greater volume of trapped air but just how much difference does it actually make regarding whether one uses Thinsulate, Polar Tec fleece, Weezle's etc.

It's hard for one person to actually get experience with all of them. I'm warm but could be warmer. Everyone I know more or less feels the same way and yet they all have different undergarments.

I understand the specs. I just wonder if the actual differences felt while diving are as great as the discussions regarding the various materials would indicate.

In my case I'm talking about diving salt water temps ranging from 46 F to 54 F.

Have any one of you who dive in similar water temps tried Thinsulate, Polar Fleece jumpsuits, and Weezles and found one to be markedly better than the others with a comparable weighting trade-off?

The short answer is "no" not all undergarments are the same.
Different materials have different properties. Personally I have only one set of undergarments and it basically works for all my drysuit dives.
However, the key words with what I use is "wool" and "layers"...

I think this is actually a good question. I know, for example, that rjack just upgraded from a DC 200g Thinsulate garment to a DUI 400g, and is much warmer, but it cost him a significant amount of additional weight. I tried the 4th Element undergarments, and they may have been marginally warmer, but they also took more weight. I don't have any experience with a garment that is rated for the same range as the one I use but made of a different material.

You can always be warmer if you are willing to add weight and sacrifice mobility. The quest for warmth without those tradeoffs is a frustrating one.

What I use myself is this http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=2566.
Its basically woolen underpants and shirt. Normally I use only my boxershorts plus the woolen shirt and underpants. The sweater I use if the water is colder than 50-ish. I use both pair of socks regardless of water temprature, with the green ones as the inner layer.

Ive been diving with that set of undergarments in water temps from close to freezing to 60-70 degree water with a crushed neoprene suit.
Ive also used fleece undergarments for a few dives but actually found that less comfortable and more "bulky"

I think this is actually a good question. I know, for example, that rjack just upgraded from a DC 200g Thinsulate garment to a DUI 400g, and is much warmer, but it cost him a significant amount of additional weight. I tried the 4th Element undergarments, and they may have been marginally warmer, but they also took more weight. I don't have any experience with a garment that is rated for the same range as the one I use but made of a different material.

You can always be warmer if you are willing to add weight and sacrifice mobility. The quest for warmth without those tradeoffs is a frustrating one.

I just wonder whether it is the search for the Holy Grail or is it something achieveable?

I hear about some materials being "just as warm" but requiring less weight but I've seen no evidence of that yet either. I have an open mind however!

exactly the temps currently in my area and I asked this same question of the powers that be earlier this year as I dont like being cold.....I could become poster child for the 4th element artic wear (except for the socks) because I do like mine....

they are thick and take a bit to sink but i dont think I am wearing comparably more weight that other people I am diving with wearing different undergarments in the same water.

ON the plus side they are washable and just about all the others are not...the 4th element rep told me I could put them in the dryer too but I dont go that far.

I add under armor cold gear under them to supplement when it gets really cold. does not take away any mobility and does not take much to sink them but they make a noticable differnce in warmth.

Wearing no cotton is the key here.... including your undies as they absorb moisture and the slightest amount of moisture will make you cold. no cotton panties or shirt .....for guys that may be a little harder than ladies.... but you can wear silk as it does wick...

for socks I layer a thin pair of snowboarding wool liners for the wicking properties and then a thick pair of wool socks for warmth....really cold and I add a med weight wool sock between the two but have only had to do that twice so far.... it has to be really cold

this also allows me to mix and match as the water gets warmer with just the under armor pants and 4th element top when water temps are close to 60....you get the idea...

Just what works for me but maybe something to think about for you....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom