Are all crotch straps the same

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You normally get a soft pad that covers the diverite strap. The pad is important if you're diving warm water with no wet-suit.

It's also important when wearing a drysuit. I've started putting the pad on all of my crotchstraps due to excessive wear. I bought a new FLX drysuit about two years ago and they're pretty hard to damage. I got a new backplate about a year ago and forgot to add the soft pad. I just remembered a couple weeks ago when I was inspecting my drysuit and found it's still in immaculate condition except for in the crotch which is already starting to wear excessively.

After diving the transpac a few times, i have come to the conclusion that i would like to try a y strap. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know this is an old-ish thread, but I just found it when I was looking for info on Y-shaped crotch straps. So, I'm adding 2 more cents worth.

Cave Adventures makes a Y-crotch strap called "the scooter strap" for about $20. I've got a couple and prefer them.

Those straps are here (and $25 now):

Our warm water rigs use Zeagle Split Saddle crotch straps I've tinkered with to be able to mount them to webbing. They are nice as they have QR buckles, and adjust on the fly. I doubt they would be good for scootering, bot for our use they are perfect.

Those straps are here (and $26.95):

My 2 cents worth.

I have the Zeagle split saddle strap on my rEvo. I've been using it for 3+ years now. I just ordered one of the CA ones to replace it with, because I don't like the Zeagle one and now that I found the CA one (thanks to this thread), I believe it will "fix" the issues I have with the Zeagle one.

The things I don't like about the Zeagle one are:

- It has plastic buckles. They haven't broken yet, but I am convinced that one is going to break someday at the most inconvenient time. probably when I'm a 30 minute scooter ride away from my exit.

- It does not have a sewn-in scooter ring. I have a scooter ring on mine by virtue of threading the front part through a tri-glide, through a 2" D-ring, and back through the tri-glide. But, what happens when I do much scootering at any kind of higher speed is that the D-ring/tri-glide pulls along the strap. It moves towards the end from being pulled by the scooter. That makes the loop on the end smaller. That does not hurt anything, when I'm in the water. But, what does happen is that when I get out, the loop on the end of the crotch strap is now too small to let my waist buckle through. So, I have to sit there and futz with it to move the D-ring back down, or I have to set my rig down and step out of the loop around my left leg. Very annoying. I even added a second tri-glide up against the other one, to make it harder to move the D-ring, but it still moves when scootering. And, because it's 2 layers of webbing, it won't fit through any serrated tri-slide that I have.

The CA strap has no plastic buckles, and the D-ring is sewn in. I think it is going to be just exactly right for my needs.

Also, I ordered 2 of them and it was free shipping and no sales tax. Dunno if it would be free shipping on just one or not. But, I need 2 anyway. Probably should have ordered 3 or 4, actually, now that I think about it.

How does the Dive Xtras scooter harness fair in this deluxe crotch strap comparison?
For ease of reference:
crotchstrap_off_1800x1800.jpg

For ease of reference:
crotchstrap_off_1800x1800.jpg
That looks like something you would see at the Folsom St. fair :wink:

How does the Dive Xtras scooter harness fair in this deluxe crotch strap comparison?

It lets you scooter without having to have a crotch strap on your actual BCD (or CCR). For rec divers that use a non-BPW BCD but want to drive a scooter, I reckon the Dive-X thing is a reasonable option.

I was actually thinking about getting one, just so that I could put people in it who want to try a BlackTip and/or take a DPV class from me, but who don't have a BP/W.

But, they are $90, versus $25-27 for the CA or Zeagle crotch straps. So, not something I would consider for my own use. Even at $25, I wouldn't use it for myself. I'd rather just have a crotch strap on my rig. Simpler. No plastic buckles. No risk of forgetting my crotch strap when I pack up to go diving.

The halcyon ones are softer than most of the other ones.

Please don't take this is a personal attack. It's just the latest example, of at least 3 in this thread alone, so I'm using it as such (just an example).

Posts that allude to some specific product would be a LOT nicer if they contained a link to the product that the post is talking about. At this moment, I don't even know if you're talking about a regular crotch strap or a split/saddle/Y one. A link to what you're talking about would make it VERY clear.

Similar posts earlier in this thread are why I posted yesterday, so I could include actual links to the things being talked about - for the convenience of anyone who might actually get some use out of this thread, and also to be perfectly clear on what I was actually talking about.

Please don't take this is a personal attack. It's just the latest example, of at least 3 in this thread alone, so I'm using it as such (just an example).

Posts that allude to some specific product would be a LOT nicer if they contained a link to the product that the post is talking about. At this moment, I don't even know if you're talking about a regular crotch strap or a split/saddle/Y one. A link to what you're talking about would make it VERY clear.

Similar posts earlier in this thread are why I posted yesterday, so I could include actual links to the things being talked about - for the convenience of anyone who might actually get some use out of this thread, and also to be perfectly clear on what I was actually talking about.
sure... Halcyon Adjustable Crotch Strap

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom