Are AI transmitters as accurate as SPG's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tbone1004 unfortunately I do not. I did stick the HP port plug in my box for the AI transmitter though. It would be nice to just transport the transmitter in the little padded Suunto case I have my dive computer in. And since I use the bungee straps the computer does not take much space in there, so plenty of room for the transmitter in there. Maybe I could just stick a small alan wrench in there as well and it should be pretty easy for me (knock on wood) to NOT lose it as long as every time I take the transmitter out, I swap it for the HP port.

@purbeast dive gear is a lot more durable than most people give it credit for. Jostling the transmitter is going to do no more damage to it than jostling the second stages in whatever you are transporting them in.... The transmitters are actually more durable to that type of transport than a normal pressure gauge which is surprisingly delicate when it comes to any sort of jostling

@purbeast dive gear is a lot more durable than most people give it credit for. Jostling the transmitter is going to do no more damage to it than jostling the second stages in whatever you are transporting them in.... The transmitters are actually more durable to that type of transport than a normal pressure gauge which is surprisingly delicate when it comes to any sort of jostling
It's more that it just makes the 1st stage more bulky when I wrap it up and put it in the bag I have for my regulator set. Like it fits, but it adds bulge. I didn't get the typical regulator bag, I ended up getting some neoprene lunch bag that I saw on another thread, and it is a great size and my reg set fits PERFECTLY into it for transportation purposes. It will fit perfectly inside my carry on luggage in the bag.

And with the transmitter, it just makes it stick out a but more since it is perpendicular to the reg.

I don't know where or when I got this, nor what it is called, nor if they are still available.....but it is an HP Port Plug on one end and a 5/8-inch wrench on the other, which fits lots of HP hoses. If I had to guess, I'd say someone (Ricky?) gave it to me 10 years ago and it is called Ricky's Wrench. It could be used as a temp port plug if a transmitter is removed....and is not likely to get lost!
20190805_165942.jpg

Oh come on @tbone1004 . Your better than this..

You know as well as anyone that the "additional failure points" you remarked on are theoretical, and the likely hood of an underwater failure of one of those is infinitesimally small. You even post a picture that has a swivel on your reg, which is a more likely failure point.

@purbeast is a new diver so likely to be unduly influenced by this nonsense and hyperbole

OP: I dive with transmitters on short hoses and with Quick disconnects. Because I dive multiple transmitters as does my wife, we have probably 3000 cumulative transmitter dives (2 x transmitters on 1 dive counts as 2 transmitter dives). The only failure ever is an o-ring at the surface when the tank was turned on.

No problem havign transmitter on a short hose. Like any hose or O ring, you need to make periodic visual checks and bubble checks on every dive. if you see small bubbles coming from your kit, don't panic, but don't ignore it as leaks or minor kit defects never fix themselves

Like any hose or O ring, you need to make periodic visual checks and bubble checks on every dive. if you see small bubbles coming from your kit, don't panic, but don't ignore it as leaks or minor kit defects never fix themselves
OP, a good way to do this is after you descend, to lay back, briefly stop exhaling, and see if any bubbles are coming from behind you. Even the inevitable and inconsequential small "fizz" that can come from your tank-reg o-ring is visible this way. Looking at your SPG and LPI and 2nd stages and those hose connections is easy.

@Diving Dubai I have failures all the time on HP hoses and spools.... Obviously not catastrophic, but immensely annoying and one I am quite happy to be rid of..... The spools are less prone to failure on a transmitter since they aren't being rotated under pressure all the time like a SPG, but the piece of gear I have fail on me most often is 6" and 9" HP hoses, followed closely by spool o-rings. I think that is echo'd by just about everyone.

And with the transmitter, it just makes it stick out a but more since it is perpendicular to the reg.

QD will also let you swap a transmitter and a SPG easily... but you'll need another one to put on the SPG hose of course.

I'd be concerned about the computer losing the pairing though: typically if they paired, it may take a few seconds (like, up to 30 maybe?) to re-establish the link after an off/on, but needing a reset and re-pairing is not normal. Well, maybe it is for Suunto...

@Diving Dubai I have failures all the time on HP hoses and spools.... Obviously not catastrophic, but immensely annoying and one I am quite happy to be rid of..... The spools are less prone to failure on a transmitter since they aren't being rotated under pressure all the time like a SPG, but the piece of gear I have fail on me most often is 6" and 9" HP hoses, followed closely by spool o-rings. I think that is echo'd by just about everyone.

What are you doing to cause such a high number of failures? I had a spool fail on my 40 year old SPG about 10 years ago, the gauge lasted another 5 years after spool replacement. Never had a HP hose fail, I have 2 HP hose as spares never needed them. I bought another SPG on Ebay like the 40 year old one and am still using it with the original spool and hose 5 years later. I guess I live right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom