Archon D11V video light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone,

I was reading and debating between this light and the D32. Don't think I can justify the extra money spent. This light is used by SRP in their trays too (even have a mount machined for them).

video-dive-lights-and-mounts.jpg

While browsing the chinese websites I came across the "new model" of this light.

2014 new Diving torch D11V CREE XM L T6 1800 lumens LED Waterproof underwater scuba Diving Flashlight High quality free shipping-in LED Flashlights from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Looks similar. Slightly thicker body (depending where the measured (body or tail cap) with more lumen (chinese branding).

Any takes on this new light? Or should I just order and see how it goes?

Getting ready for a dive trip in February to egypt.

Another question: when using lights, still use a filter?

Last edited:
Wondering how you who have bought the Chinese knock-offs are doing with them? Feedback please and thanks!

Nice thread, looking for some lights myself. Thanks

Wondering how you who have bought the Chinese knock-offs are doing with them? Feedback please and thanks!
They are working fine for me. No complaints whatsoever. Here's a video I shot earlier this month using 2 d11s.

I was the only one with video lights on that dive. Every body else had narrow beam dive lights.

[youtubehq]sxLumI_ZdR8[/youtubehq]

I've been using them for over a year now and still working fine. Hard to beat for the price. I may upgrade in the future to Sola 2000's. Pricier but I could use the extra light.

I used them quite a bit during this dive video:

[video=vimeo;101852544]https://vimeo.com/101852544[/video]

Very nice work El Pistoffo! You must be very smooth to get that close without frighting off the subject.

Slamfire...if I may? You should test your lights on the surface prior to splashing to ensure that the lights are not too far apart thus causing the, what I call, the double barrel effect. your subject is in the center of the lens and right where the black part appears due to the two lights not over laping. Anyway, very good video. Was that video shot with a GoPro?

It was shot with a GoPro Hero2 with no LCD screen. Proper framing of shots is a bit of a challenge at times. For light arms I use Loc-line hose segments and realign the lights underwater depending on the distance to the subject I'm shooting. Your point is well taken, though, I did a poor job in setting up proper light alignment before shooting clips. I also struggled taking stable clips on this dive. There was some surge. See the how the turtle gets tossed around the 3:05 time stamp. Shooting distance would vary from adequate light coverage to too-close (aka double barrel) in a 10-20 sec clip within a single surge cycle.

...those are my attempts at excuses... :idk:

Slamfire, I ment no harm and rather enjoyed your video. I was just trying to help. I too have had a lot of complications in shooting video. you can see some here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIskHVV0bNM I had the problem of the lead diver, in side mount, only having a 10 watt HID and I was trying to use my primary 2800 BigBlue light to shine deeper into the cave. You can see that after we turn, me in back mount, that the two 1200 BigBlue video lights work great coupled with the lead light being a 2800 LED.

I also rather enjoy the LCD screen on the back of the Intova...it makes for easier framing.

It all depends on what you call a knock-off. SRP actually sells this light, but via a USA middle man for extra batteries and guarantee. They themselves say these are the same lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom