Aransas Pass- Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have family that lives in Rockport and usually spend a few trips a year down at the coast. Trip potentially planned for Labor Day.

Does anyone dive from Mustang Island, and or the Aransas Pass Jetty?
I am aware of Frogman’s dive store.

Any thoughts or experience would be sincerely appreciated.
I am really looking to dive from the Jetty, Beach or alternate location.
Boat diving is a bit expensive with gas prices.

Thanks, Andrew

I am leading a small group on dive off the jetties on the 26th. Ill try to post a trip report afterwards.

I have not been impressed with Frogman's on the island. The best person to talk to is Dan at Ascuba Venture on South Padre Island Drive across the bridge in South Corpus.

I know a bit about the jetties if you have any specific questions I might be able to answer....

I have a few basic questions.

Is there a way across to the other side of the jetty? I have seen people on the other side before.

Any preferred place to enter? I am guessing far out as you can stand the walk?

Do you know when the blue water pulls in? (should be any time.)

Thanks for the heads up on the other shop I will try to stop in.

In July we stayed at Port Royal (beach access rd a little further down) the water quality was much better than closer to the jetty. We must have had 3ft at the beach and better a little further out.

I am looking forward to your trip report.
Thanks, Andrew

Is there a way across to the other side of the jetty?
- YES, there are boats at the marina near the ferry and I think there is even a regularly scheduled ferry for about $10pp. Ive heard its even better over there, especially dealing with a lot less fishermen, only real problem is there is about a quarter mile hike each way with all your gear once your there

Any preferred place to enter?
-Preferred spot is almost directly across the rocks from high tide on the beach(about 50' from parking). There is a large piece of granite that sticks out a little further than the surrounding ones, it slopes down into the water and is a good place to get in and out. Once in, descend to the bottom of the granite bolders(its not very deep) and head SE towards the end of the jetties then come back the same route.

Do you know when the blue water pulls in?
-Best months are Aug & September. You want to be diving at high tide while the current isnt very strong. Aransas Pass is funneling a massive amount of water in and out of the bay through a small channel. You also want high tide because its previously been pulling in blue water. Aransas Pass tide charts can be found at http://nearshore.utmsi.utexas.edu/tides.htm

Blue water? Tell me more...

I used to dive there years ago. Good advice on the tide. Try to dive just prior to max high tide, if you don't the current is really ripping through there. This brings in the blue water in from the gulf. Visibility is kind of iffy...I've drove there and it's been excellent and other times its been too poor to dive.

Take 2 knifes, alot of people fish on the jetties so there is a lot of monofiliment line in and around the rocks in places. I got in some once and ended up with both fins tied together, luckily I didn't get into any hooks but I have seen the leaders hooked in the rocks, BE CAREFUL. Wear a skin also, I've seen man-o-war tenticles drifting by.

Thanks everyone for all the great comments..

Good comments on the tide- I have been there when the tide was rising and it was rolling through that channel. It looked like the porpoises were surfing…

Totally agree on line cutters- I will mount one on my computer plus I carry a folding knife. I have been caught up twice in monofilament and you just can’t see it…
To date no hooks or acting like a live catch.

We will probably dive 36% nitrox or 40% for the dive.
Keep things short- I might even jump in with mask and snorkel and check out the conditions before committing to dive gear.

Plus, we need to keep an out for large vessels.
I have stood there and watched ships come though-
you know that changes the landscape every time they blow up the bottom.
Give you appreciation for the Spec Ops guys and what they did in Panama.

Andrew

Hope to see a dive report when you get back. I've always thought about trying to dive one of the jetties, but never heard anything good about it. There has got to some fish there that need stabbin' though!

I dove the jetties at fish pass and at packery channel this weekend. Fish pass was poor with depth less than 10, vis 4 to 8 ft and not much to see (one turtle). Packery channel was a pleasant surprise. Less than a year old but plenty of life, 8 to 15 feet depth and vis at the end of the jetty (north side) 10 to 20 ft. Deeper hole on the outside of the north jetty hit 15 ft with only 3 to 5 ft vis but good shells (in the weed). Inside the channel current was mild on an incoming tide with 10 ft depth along the edge of the jetty and plenty of life (no turtles). I was told the channel drops to 20 ft. Next time we will probably make the short swim to the south jetty and try it. (But there is a lot of small boat traffic with some on plane.)

Ok, flour me stupid… :confused:
Where is the ‘packery channel’ and the ‘jetties at fish pass’?- Please.

So we have three sites?
1. Aransas Pass
2. Packery channel
3. Jetties at fish pass.

Any toothy friends to mention of considerable size…

Thank you for the update…

Back
Top Bottom