aquaseal on latex wrist seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i've done a few searches on line and here, but there doesn't seem to be
a definitive answer out there. here's the Q:

will Aquaseal work to fix a small tear in a latex wrist seal?

thanks in advance

Well
I don't know the Aquaseal but here we use a special glue for rubber and latex and it works.
BTW - if you don't have ones - get the S-tech rings - that would allow you to change the wrist seals by yourself
Mania

Where is the tear in the seal? you might be able to get away with it but I'd suggest having a new seal put on it can usually be done pretty quickly

thanks guys

the seal has a small tear right next to the cuff (in other words, on the "bottom"
of the seal)

H2Andy:
thanks guys

the seal has a small tear right next to the cuff (in other words, on the "bottom"
of the seal)
I've tried it once (was out of town). I got one dive out of the repair until the stretching of the latex pulled apart from the glue. Once there is a rip, you are destined to replace it. The rip will increase.

If I was in the same situation again - out of town, needing to somehow make it work -I'd use duct tape.

Now when I go out of town, I take an extra wrist seal, the glue, the drying accelerator and all the stuff to replace a wrist seal in less than an hour.

The neck seal is a show stopper.

thanks... small problem...

i've never replaced a seal and i don't know how to ... time to learn!

i had a feeling that once it tears, it will just keep on getting bigger as you
put the suit on and off

say... does anyone have a link to a how-to-guide for replacing latex seals?
my goodle skills seem to be getting me nowhere on this

[edit]

oooops... should have looked there first. here's a great guide from DUI:

http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/drysuit_repair_outline.pdf

Since the tear is near the cuff there is no need to replace the seal. You can fix it yourself with a $2 bicycle tube patch kit. Use 'thin' patches (made for road/racing bikes). Just so you all know it works here's a picture of my left cuff. That patch has been on there for 8 years or so (will get new seals later this year).

-Ben

hey... what a great idea, thanks!

I had bubbles in a similar location to yours, near where the wrist seal latex joins the neoprene (maximum flex location in my seals because the suit's arms are a bit long). I slapped some Aquaseal inside and out and was able to delay replacing the wrist seals for another season.

thansk knotical... actually, last night i went ahead and applied aquaseal to both
sides of the seal (one side at a time, letting it dry, of course)

looks pretty good

(btw, i don't know if i've told you this already, but i've meant to, your username
is awesome)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom