Aquarena Volunteer Note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MOWI

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the first 3 weeks of July, my husband and I spent one day a week volunteering at Aquarena. With all the rain we have had this year, there was a ton of work to do. Lots of overgrown algae, coonstail, and at the entry level of volunteering lots of finning to do. We noticed at that time that the volunteer log history looked a little sparse.

Don't get me wrong, it is great to have the whole place to ourselves! Especially with the "new" facility at the Landing and lots of nice yellow suits to choose from ;-) But, if you are a skilled and certified/trusted Aquarena Science Diver, maybe they can use some more help. Not speaking for them, just the way it looked to us.

Just curious as to what you mean about "lots of nice yellow suits to choose from"? They don't provide gear for volunteer divers do they? I've never been there, so I really don't have a clue.

Also, what exactly do you mean by "finning"? Maybe a dumb question, but...

They provide a yellow skin which you are required to wear so you are most visible to the glass bottom boats operating overhead.

On the suits, what awap said.

Finning involves basically fanning your hands above the areas where little springs are bubbling to lift debris, which then goes downstream. Any kind of volunteering at Aquarena requires training in endangered species, environmental aspects of the springs, and skills tests on things like advanced buoyancy but there are many divers in Central TX who have had this training.

Just curious as to what you mean about "lots of nice yellow suits to choose from"? They don't provide gear for volunteer divers do they? I've never been there, so I really don't have a clue.

Also, what exactly do you mean by "finning"? Maybe a dumb question, but...

Spring Lake is an incredibly productive habitat and generates a lot dead organic material from the plants. Most of it falls in the mud and decays. I swear that mud must be natural Miracle Grow given the way the plants thrive in the lake. Much of the hand finning you do will be at Cream of Wheat, a large group of low pressure springs with a broad sandy bottom. The theory is that it is better for aquifer to not let the organic material filter down. As already mentioned, you "fin" the organic material up into the water column. A lot of it will drop in a site called Ossified Forrest making it a mess to clean up (vis drops to inches if you are doing any meaningful work in seconds). Cream of Wheat is one of the more delicate areas the volunteers maintain. In other areas, like Riverbed and Arch Site, the finning is done using scooters.

Thanks for the great info. My OW class begins this Thursday, but I have thought one of my first classes after this would be Science Diver to go dive at Aquarena. I have since heard that it may take me a while, like several dozen dives to develop the necessary bounancy skills to actually pass the course. Guess I'll be spending just that much more time at CSSP in the near future.

Just wish I could find a more affordable way to get more experience. Renting gear plus $20 per day to dive at CSSP is pretty steep. Not to mention it's an hour and a half each way. Oh well, if I wanted a cheaper hobby I should have decided on needlepoint or something.

Hi, svnipp, we probably had about 25 dives. Some of the important skills will be things like being able to stay off the bottom of the lake except when you intend to land on the bottom softly and with control; maintaining your position in really shallow water without popping up to the top; swimming through a narrow area without hitting things. That kind of stuff that pays off for visiting reefs and photography, too! Best wishes!

I was just there on Friday cleaning Deep Hole and the Archaeology site.

Finning is simply using your arm or fin (hence the name) to direct and clear off the dark particulate matter that collects on the top of the springs so they look pretty and are easy for kids and other tourists to see, more or less (business and education are other important reasons you're there, not just environmental). Plants tend to grow in the springs themselves, so you have to stick your hand carefuly into them to look for stuff to pull out. Sometimes it's like a magic hat and you end up with like a 10 foot length of Coon's tail from what looked like nothing.

The "banana" suits are just so they can easily identify legal divers (that you're supposed to be there) from the shore / boats [I'm sure glad they have 3XL]. They also help with visibility since the boats purposely seek you out (you're part of the attraction).

Renting gear plus $20 per day to dive at CSSP is pretty steep.

CSSP has discount cards (10 dives for $150.00) and season passes. If you're going to be a regular it's a money saver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom