Aquarena update, anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt it, until all construction is done, and the construction company has moved off location.

The Corp of Engineers has to approve of the site before they will release the contractor. While the contractor has control of the site, the fence stays up and the peninsula remains closed.

From the last 2 hours here and trying to get any type of answer, the only thing I have heard is that the corps has to approve it. They don't have a date when the program will start back up.. Nobody I talked to really knows what's going on. Never could talk to anyone over the age of 25.. This place really looks bad vs when I came when I was young.

Hope you took the glass bottom boat tour.

I feel your pain regarding looking for a straight answer. Quite frankly, the AC staff has been out of the decision loop on the project for quite a while. All they/we can do is sit back and wait.

What I think is going to happen is that the USFWS, TS University and the AC staff will take a look at the DFS program and go from there. Not much point in speculating on the decision at this point. Personally, I am pretty confident that the DFS program will resume.

Yea I took the boat ride.. Sure is some beautiful water and I hope to be able to dive it soon.. There were school divers in the water and I was extremely jealous that I couldn't go.

Yea I took the boat ride.. Sure is some beautiful water and I hope to be able to dive it soon.. There were school divers in the water and I was extremely jealous that I couldn't go.

They were from TSU's program. A pretty positive development. First, it means that USFWS has not changed the designation of the Training Area to critical habitat. Second, there is a voice within TSU who wants continued access to the site for their OW classes.

The water in the lake is very nice until you start doing real work. Then the vis goes to nothing and you are diving by feel a lot of the time.

I checked in with the AC staff yesterday. First, the fence is still up. Second, the class Mopar saw was two people from the biology department getting certified for access to the lake. Third, no one knows anything outside the fact 95% of ground cover has not been achieved and grass isn't growing this time of year.

Cutting to the chase, (and leaving out most of the details) the people I talked with want nothing more than seeing the volunteer divers back in the water.

This was in the Austin Spaceman -- in part:
San Marcos
[h=1]San Marcos’ Spring Lake could warrant World Heritage Site designation[/h][h=3]Related[/h]View Larger

Laura Skelding
Humans are believed to have lived on the shores of the lake for the past 12,000 years.

View Larger

Spring Lake

By Jordan Gass-Pooré
SAN MARCOS —
Spring Lake, the iconic pool fed by more than 200 springs, may meet the criteria to be eligible for a World Heritage Site designation, Texas State University officials and residents say.
The lake is believed to be one of the longest continually inhabited sites in North America. Andrew Sansom, executive director of the Texas State River Systems Institute, said spear points provide archaeological evidence that humans have lived in the area surrounding Spring Lake for more than 12,000 years.
That history, along with the lake’s spiritual importance to American Indians and early Spanish settlers, is among the reasons why it could deserve the World Heritage designation from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Sansom and other proponents said.

I would have certainly lived by it if I had the chance, it is beautiful there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom