Aquarena Sun 8/31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Larry,

Glad you had fun today! Yeah, I can imagine diving midweek you'd certainly have the place to yourself.

It had been 5 months since my last trip...it was substantially more overgrown than what I remembered....I'd heard stuff really started growing a month or so ago.....also heard there was some sort of policy dispute whereby the weeding fell by the wayside, at least for a time, which apparently allowed the growth to get a little out of control...so the volunteer divers will have plenty to do catchin back up on the weeding.

Ethan did successfully try out a new airlift/vacuum system powered by an AL80 tank, which is pretty good at picking up the fine, hair like algae that's so hard to pick up by hand.....but it takes a lot of air using this method, so it will take a while to show results.

It does cause a major siltout downstream of whereever it's operating...and it seems to loosen some of the growth such that it flows a bit downstream and resettles on the downstream springs.......I noticed that 'recontaminating' some of the areas earlier divers had carefully cleaned......but again, it was still experimental at first, so I assume in future they will coordinate the efforts so that the same area won't have to be reworked frequently.

Wish I could be there to finish out the reconstruction...but, of course, I have a few prior commitments, so it appears they'll be done by the time I can return.

Karl

Back
Top Bottom