Aquarena Sun 8/31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not me. Although you'll find me around nearly any other time!

You should find the archaeology reconstruction going on then and to the point where they'd be rebuilding [the fun part!]
- My friend - John Strizinger - will be there, I'll put you in contact if you like.

In the meantime - Dive Safe & Enjoy!

Hi BillP and Larry,

I'll be down there this weekend (Sat + Sun) to take part in the 'reconstruction'.......sorry I'll miss ya Larry.......hey, BillP, just look for the guy with the yellow accented wetsuit, diving Poseidon Odins!

Karl

Sounds like you'll be easy to spot in a crowd ;-) 'Fraid I'll be more generic with mostly blue accents on my gear. Maybe the white Scubapro steel tank will help you pick me out.

I look forward to meeting you,

Bill

Spring Lake at Aquarena was beautiful and full of fish as always. Guadalupe Bass, Rio Grande Cichlids, Bluegill, Longear Sunfish, and all the usual suspects were out in force.

Turns out the "Cream of Wheat" springhead needed cleaning, so I spent the day weeding. I ended up buddying with CavernQT/Tabatha and a friend of hers from Dallas- small world, eh? Both were super divers and great buddies. I met scubafanatic/Karl who happened to come along just in time for a "rescue" when my catch bag full of weeds slipped of my arm and drifted away (thanks again Karl).

Anyone interested in diving at Aquarena Center should contact their local dive shop to arrange to take the Scientific Diving authorization to dive course. I highly recommend it.

http://www.continuing-ed.swt.edu/aquarena/diving.html

Bill

Hi BillP!

.....who'd have thought my 1st scuba 'rescue' would be a weed-packed catch bag? :) ...I guess Bridget's right when she says one can never turn one's back on hydrilla!

...saw that white Scubapro tank of yours....nice to see another diver diving those nice, big steels, although I still think I've got the record there with my LP 120's/HP 120 and HP 130 steels. (Tabatha tells me I need to take up yoga, her friend Ann said Tabatha uses no air because of the yoga training.....I might look into that as so far my answer to air consumption 'issues' has been load up on monster tanks...the brute-force method to diving.)

Dove 2 tanks Sat and another 2 tanks Sunday....'weeded' on Sat and participated in some barge diving on the submerged archeology reconstruction site on Sunday.

The barge motor was 'down'...so us divers got to jump in the water and use 'fin-power' to propel the barge to the site, which was a nice little aerobic workout, especially on the return trip upstream. :) .....hey, maybe could get TUSA to sponsor the project financially as I used my ZOOM fins to do it?

Gary from Houston Scuba Academy shot some nice UW video of the group during the reconstruction, which he shared with us after the dive as we got to watch the replay on his laptop computer.

It's not as easy as it sounds....we created quite a siltout removing old iron poles and heavy wooden planking from the area to install the replacement supports...a little errie as the current is modest and it takes a while for things to wash downstream.....so it was 'interesting' doing the work without smacking into other divers under very murky (temporarily at least) conditions.

I'm told scuba divers are the main attraction @ Aquarena, the tourists reallly get a kick out of seeing the volunteer divers in action.....topside I'm always bombarded by the tourists 'onshore' who pepper any divers they see with questions....I never cease to be amazed how the vast majority of the public views scuba diving as exotic.

The weather was delightful, and a modest number of divers this weekend made it feel as if I had my very own private dive resort.

I wholeheartedly agree that it's worth one's while to take the Scientific Diver course...especially if you need a place to dive during the winter months in north Texas....unless you have a drysuit, Aquarena's constant 70--72 degree water temps are the only available dive location within driving distance during winter...which right there is more than enough reason to participate in their program.

Karl

Sorry I couldn't join you!

I'll be doing a little dive there this Thursdya, by my plan at least.

Did you happen to hear if there'll be a third weekend for the reconstruction - and, if so, when it would be!?!

..well, we missed ya Larry!

It will likely be a few weeks before I can return to Aquarena, as I'll be @ Blue Lagoon this weekend 'rehearsing' for my Cave Certification class coming up Sept 21--28th in Akumal Mexico...then off to the Flower Gardens on the Sea Searcher II Oct 3--5th...and back to Cozumel Oct 24--27th.......so I doubt I'll be able to return until Nov.

Didn't hear anything about a 3rd weekend of reconstruction......however, I'm sure there will be as there's plenty left to do...just don't know when it's scheduled.

Karl

Like Bill: I just used a full tank & filled 2 bags at Cream of Wheat - and it barely looks like I touched it. It's awfully nice there right now though! Pretty much had the dive area to myself!

I asked Bridget about the reconstruction - She said that Dennis would be off this weekend, then was looking to schedule all or part of the next three! weekends to finish. - So pick your possible day [wiht the possible exception of fanatic, who looks to have all too good a schedule] - Check with Bridget & come on down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom