Aquarena Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toecutter

Reaction score
Has anyone gone through the Scientific Diving Course at Aquarena Springs? It sounds interesting but I don't want to spend $200 and a whole weekend to find out it is not. That looks like a great place to dive though.

Did the course a month or so ago. I think it was worth it. Plan to dive there when weather warms up. somewhat pricy but good excuse for weekend trips to Austin.

If you click on this link, it will take you to a message board with detailed excerpts and experiences from the Aquarena program.
http://scubaclub.tamu.edu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27

Personally, I haven't felt inclined to dive anywhere else in Texas since I took the class in October. I'll make an exception for the Flower Gardens...

last month.

The course consists of a morning of lectures covering hydrogeological, biological, and archaeological features of the area. Accompanying the lectures are a video, an aquarium, and a few quizzes on the material (nothing overly difficult if you're paying attention).

Following the classroom session, you're given a tour of Spring Lake in a glass bottomed boat to observe the springs, vegetation, fish, etc. A break for lunch and then diving starts.

Divers are required to successfully complete a circuit of an underwater obstacle course and demonstrate enough buoyancy control that they are able to stay off the bottom and not disturb the flora and fauna. After the training course session is completed, divers are taken on a guided night dive of the lake.

Class resumes the next morning with training in revegetation and spring cleaning techniques.

I had a good time, met some nice folks, learned some interesting facts, and have already returned to help with some reveg/weeding efforts.

The price is a little steep, but it goes to a decent cause and allows you access to a very nice dive spot. The fish are plentiful, vis can be very good, and the water is a constant 70ish degrees.

I thought it was worthwhile, YMMV.

This is now definitely on my list of things to do. As soon as I finish my Advanced OW I will sign up. I need some time to get my buoyancy under control.

I completed it a little over a year ago and I need to get back in the water there. I'm looking at the week after Easter, probably sometime in the middle of the week. I'm also considering sticking around and doing some diving in the Comal while I'm down there. Anyone interested in joining me is most welcome. :diver:

I agree with cyklon_300 . It was worth the time and effort.
Make sure you are on top of your bouyancy control and fin awareness.

Dave

Sorry to jump in on your thread but I have been wanting to know ...

This is from their website.
"Once certified, divers have limitless opportunities to participate in our Volunteer Diving Program. "

Does this mean after you do the class you can only dive there by filling out a form
and being picked to participate in a program?

Thanks sam

you contact the Diving Supervisor (Bridget) and request a date to dive. If the time you selected is available, you will be assigned a task to perform (weeding/replanting/cleaning springs).

After your 'chores' are done, you can dive the lake for fun...

One perk (if you're a gardener-type) of being a Sci Diver is that there are large trash bags of aquatic weeds that you can take home for the compost pile...

cyklon_300:
After your 'chores' are done, you can dive the lake for fun...

Dang! All this time I've been getting screwed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom