Aquarena Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I went to AS this weekend; as always the diving was beautiful. We did discover that they have changed the program a bit, though. Due to the majority of the glass bottom boat rides happening during the weekend, they don't want divers stirring up the silt where the people in the boats can't see.
If you are a Science Diver and can make it out during the week, the springs look like they could use your help.

I wish I could get back down there and help out, but until gas prices start coming down considerably, I'm stuck here for the forseeable future... :frown:

That sounds like a pretty good program. I do have a couple of questions about it if you dont mind. How hard is the class? Any tips or sugestions for a someone thinking about taking the class? How many dives a year do you have to do there to keep your cert current? Ok, I guess that was more than a couple of questions.

RumBum:
We did discover that they have changed the program a bit, though. Due to the majority of the glass bottom boat rides happening during the weekend, they don't want divers stirring up the silt where the people in the boats can't see.
If you are a Science Diver and can make it out during the week, the springs look like they could use your help.

So what are you saying, that they aren't allowing volunteer divers on weekends or that they just aren't having them do much of anything?

Reefhound -- they want you to pretend to do stuff (like measure spring flow, "count species," or move rocks around the archaeology grid) so the glass-bottom boat drivers can make up cool stuff about you. Which is fine with me, really. I just bring my camera and relax in between boats. Very nice.

Bucho - it's not a hard class. Very informative about the hydrology of the aquifer, the biology of the lake, and the conservation efforts of the staff and Texas State. The buoyancy course will either make you a better diver or confirm that you're doing alright as is. You don't have to dive but once a year, I believe. But I bet you'll have a hard time justifying diving Travis instead once you've been to Aquarena -- I do!

Ed

So we can still dive on weekends at Aquarena, just not to do tasks, but to "pretend" to do tasks? lol. That's kinda funny. But, I'll do whatever they want in order to dive there! It's so pretty. We're planning to go there one weekend in August, probably the last one. After then, we probably won't be there until it gets cooler, but we definitely plan to dive there as much possible as this winter. Thanks for the heads up about the program change, RumBum & EdMarshall.

When do you have to go back for in-service, Foo? I might could join you the first or third weekends in August, but I have a BBQ to attend on the second weekend, and I'll be in Hawaii from August 22-29, so I'll miss the fourth one, as well. Let me know... :D

ScubaTexan:
When do you have to go back for in-service, Foo?
I have to go back to work on Aug. 8 :( . sigh. I'll get excited about it before school starts, but I'm not very excited right now... :D

ScubaTexan:
I'll be in Hawaii from August 22-29
Well gee!! Am I supposed to feel sorry for you, Ken?! Lucky! We will actually be diving on Aug. 27, which is a Sunday, because we're going to San An for a karate tournament on Sat the 26. We'll just do a couple of morning dives, then make the loooooong drive home. Too bad you can't go that weekend, huh? Wow, Hawaii... you are diving, right??

Foo:
Wow, Hawaii... you are diving, right??

In the immortal words of Dick Martin (of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In)....You bet your sweet bippy I'm diving! :laughing:

Right -- I made it sound a little silly, but it is still useful work posing for the glass bottom boats. It exposes a lot of casual visitors to the volunteer program and to the important conservation work that does go on there. And, as you noted Foo, it is beautiful diving.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom