Aquarena Springs - Scientific Diver - 9/10 & 9/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My GF and I are headed down to give this a whirl this weekend. As fairly newbie divers, I am not sure if we are ready or not :) Anyone else going there this weekend? Any tips for sucessfully passing the course? Thanks.

Jarrett:
My GF and I are headed down to give this a whirl this weekend. As fairly newbie divers, I am not sure if we are ready or not :) Anyone else going there this weekend? Any tips for sucessfully passing the course? Thanks.

The course is split into a number of sections - there's a series of lectures on the ecology of the springs, dive procedures in the springs and what the volunteer jobs entail. You'll have to go through the dive course, which involves swimming through hoops without touching the hoop, setting down on pads withough disturbing too much silt, essentially an underwater obstacle course.

No real trick to it other than relax, take it slowly and easily and maintain good bouyancy while keeping movements slow and deliberate. There is a pass mark, and you'll lose marks for contact with hoops, setting down too hard and knocking up silt, but you'll get to try a couple of times and practise beforehand.

It's a lot of fun, you'll get to tour the site a couple of times, see the springs pumping underwater, and get to assist in some of the easier tasks - weed clearing and spring fanning. Definitely worth doing. Once you're certified, you can dive there for free, provided you work on something at each visit, and provided you dive there once a year.

is focused on making sure you can stay off the bottom. That involves buoyancy control, maintaining a horizontal attitude, and using non-silting finning techniques (i.e., frogkick).

Make slow, controlled movements while doing the obstacle course. Don't get in a rush and you should do fine.

I've seen many people that passed this course that were, ummm less than accomplished divers, so don't sweat it.

I have been thinking about taking this cause I would like to get a chance to dive in the springs. But I am not sure I am good enough with my bouyancy yet. Maybe I need to go spend a little more time in the pool.

But I will probably wait until later in the fall. But I would like to get a report after you go this weekend.

Good luck with it, Jarrett. Trust me -- it's a lot of fun! :D

Thanks for the tips. I need to give that frog kick a try. I normally do the flutter with split fins.

We took a hula hoop and sank it in my brother's pool with some string and a weight and practiced going through that. That wasn't too tough. Also practiced picking up a 5lb weight and carrying it around the pool a bit. I used my BC inflator on that one to get neutral. Hoping that's allowed in the course. Also did the normal OW bouyancy exercises of doing the "pushups" by breathing and also one I saw on line where you cross your fins under you and I guess maintain bouyancy in that position.

All of those were fairly easy. My main problem is keeping my fins up. Despite whatever I do, they want to drop down to the floor and I am betting that is a no no at AS. Are there any tricks for keeping your fins up? I was thinking like wrapping my ankles in extra neoprene or something. Or is there a better way?

I found these tips on another site:

UPDATE: I should mention that this is the only place I know about in Texas where it is STRONGLY ADVISED that you dive with your weight system tweaked like a cave diver. By this I mean your head is angled down, and your legs and feet are angled up. The reason for doing this is simple... you don't smash and kill endangered species and their fragile habitat. It's like dancing on eggshells in some places.

There are a few simple ways to tweak your gear to achieve this orientation.
1. Don't wear ankle weights (Never do)
2. Position your tank as far forward as possible without banging your head. (I can try this, but I normally do that anyway. I like the idea of being able to reach my tank valve.)
3. Devote more neoprene to your lower torso than your upper (I just have a full 5 mm)
4. Don't use a horseshoe-type back inflated BCD (I have this on my Zeagle) A doughnut or torus bladder is far better as you can maintain an air bubble near your butt.
5. Don't overweight yourself more than a pound or two (I'll need to redo bouyancy in the spring water and my 5mm suit)
6. Don't wear trim weights behind your BC or under your tank. (I usually do, but will skip them this weekend)
7. PRACTICE PRACTICE

I know I am probably taking this too seriously, but I like the idea of the challenge and want to do well. Thanks.

Jarrett:
I know I am probably taking this too seriously, but I like the idea of the challenge and want to do well. Thanks.

Bridget likes it and appreciates it when you "take it too seriously." This is an extremely fragile environment, so I don't think it's possible to take it too seriously. Have fun, but concentrate on what you are doing.

Very interested to hear how it goes...I really like the thoughts of taking this course.

Please be sure to post a trip report!

Jarrett:
UPDATE: I should mention that this is the only place I know about in Texas where it is STRONGLY ADVISED that you dive with your weight system tweaked like a cave diver. By this I mean your head is angled down, and your legs and feet are angled up. The reason for doing this is simple... you don't smash and kill endangered species and their fragile habitat. It's like dancing on eggshells in some places.

There are a few simple ways to tweak your gear to achieve this orientation.
1. Don't wear ankle weights (Never do)
2. Position your tank as far forward as possible without banging your head. (I can try this, but I normally do that anyway. I like the idea of being able to reach my tank valve.)
3. Devote more neoprene to your lower torso than your upper (I just have a full 5 mm)
4. Don't use a horseshoe-type back inflated BCD (I have this on my Zeagle) A doughnut or torus bladder is far better as you can maintain an air bubble near your butt.
5. Don't overweight yourself more than a pound or two (I'll need to redo bouyancy in the spring water and my 5mm suit)
6. Don't wear trim weights behind your BC or under your tank. (I usually do, but will skip them this weekend)
7. PRACTICE PRACTICE
*cough cough* you could at least acknowledge the site or author, whoever it is...

That's brilliant writing.

Back
Top Bottom