Aquarena Springs/Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Opossum

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Going this weekend to the Aquarena Springs to do my final dive to obtain my C-card.

Thos who are not familiar with the site:
TRC-Aquarena : Texas State University
Texas Diver

What thickness of wetsuit should I use (65-72*F)? Also how thick of a hood should I use?

It is this weekend, and I have not picked up my gear yet. :dork2:

Leave it to me to wait until the last minute!

I usually dive Aquarena in my 3mm, most of the time with no hood. But if you're cold natured you could do a 5mm with a tropical hood.

My main concern is it is the test dive. So I know we will be stationary for a while. Think a full 3mm and a hood may work?

Going this weekend to the Aquarena Springs to do my final dive to obtain my C-card.

What thickness of wetsuit should I use (65-72*F)? Also how thick of a hood should I use?

It is this weekend, and I have not picked up my gear yet. :dork2:

Leave it to me to wait until the last minute!

Congratulations on earning your way into the underwater world with your C card certification. Diving is FUN.

How thick of wetsuit really depends on you. I used my 3 mil in 70 degree water last weekend and no hood. If you get cold easily you might want to learn to dry suit dive or use a 5 mil triple pack and a 7 mil hood. Like I said, it depends on what your body tells you concerning the cold. I like the cold, so I am probably not the best to give this advice.

There are a lot of local dive shops you can pick up equipment at in Austin or in San Marcos. You can find these on line.

Best to you finishing your certification that is a great achievement and a new beginning to continue to learn in Scuba Diving.

Best Regards,

Shawn O'Shea

Ditto what Shawn said. Like the others, I typically dive in a 3/2 with no hood. I've been in the water for 1 1/2 hours before with no problem. Check out dives usually last no more than 30 minutes.

I've got rental wetsuits and hoods at Oak Hill Scuba if you don't get the gear before you leave.

For me, a three mil works fine with no hood (but I wear a "skin" hood, just to keep the fish off my ears). I've also used a farmer john and jacket, but that was a bit of overkill.

Welcome to the diving ranks, and have a good time at AC. (Remember to stay in the training area, though.)

I dive with a 3mm full wet suit and a beanie for a hood.

You will experience one of the jewels of Texas diving, IMHO.

Thanks for your advice everyone! Looks like I'll run out and get a 3mm and a hood. Bringing the shortie along is a good idea...I'll be sure to pack it. :D

When I last dove there I used a 5mm with a polartec hood and was fine even after 90minutes of bottom time.

If you are doing training dives, you won't be in the water that long, so you might be able to get by with a 3mm.

Back
Top Bottom