Aquarena Closing to Dive Volunteers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heard a rumor at my LDS this week that changes in the grants to aquarea center may make it difficult or impossible for volunteers to dive spring lake in 2011! is there any truth to this?

I just took the class last weekend and nothing like that said to us and as a mater of fact it was just the opposite, Ron Coley the director of the TRC-Aquarena Center talked about how much they need the volunteers.

I haven't taken the class due to time/money constraints, but was glad to hear they recently held a free class. I would expect more divers would volunteer if they didn't charge for a course to learn how to help them. I know it'd make it easier for me.

Have no idea about changes to grants. But I would not believe the rumor until I heard it from the people at Aquarena directly. Also, I don't think there was any recent free class (?).

The course is certainly a source of revenue for the Diving for Science operation, needed income to cover expenses and continue their existence. A win-win for divers and for Aquarena. I found the course to be a great value for the money.

Time is a precious commodity, that's for sure.

I haven't taken the class due to time/money constraints, but was glad to hear they recently held a free class. I would expect more divers would volunteer if they didn't charge for a course to learn how to help them. I know it'd make it easier for me.

My class was $230.00, I guess I missed the free one.:idk:

There was no free class. They did have a Save the Spring day a couple of weeks ago. Science divers were encouraged to participate in cleaning up spring lake. Non science divers were allowed to dive in the training area at no charge.

heard a rumor at my LDS this week that changes in the grants to aquarea center may make it difficult or impossible for volunteers to dive spring lake in 2011! is there any truth to this?

Did they find Zebra muscles?

I was out their for the Save a Springs, and they were pumping the man-made pond around the tram system down. They are waiting for the Corp of Engineers, but are hoping they will be starting the demolishin work this year. The springs will be closed when they demo the tram system and the tower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom