Aqualung Titan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTC'83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have read as many of the post from fellow members looking for their first set of regulators.
Hogs, Deep 6, Scubapro.............
I am a new OW diver, plan to dive in Florida and the Caribbean and local dive lakes. Stay within OW limits.
I like the Titan and want to add the octopus and hose for the bcd.
Just need some input if this item will serve my needs. DO not want to have to buy another set in the next 5 years.

A properly maintained Titan will serve you well for a very long time. You may WANT a new regulator at some point but I'll bet you won't NEED one.

My Titan LX regs served me well for many years up through cave. Only reason I don't use them anymore is I standardized my regs to 1 type to make rebuilds easier. I think you'll find quite a few great brands out there that will last many years.

How do the Titans compare to the us divers se2, as far as quality and cost of parts?
A properly maintained Titan will serve you well for a very long time. You may WANT a new regulator at some point but I'll bet you won't NEED one.

How do the Titans compare to the us divers se2, as far as quality and cost of parts?

SE2 was a great regulator in its time. From what I remember is was a US Navy class A rated regulator. The same as the Scubapro and Poseidon. The parts between a Titan and SE2 are going to cost the same. I am not an expert but the kits may be the same or just differ by an o-ring or 2. If you want an SE2 I would recommend buying it from Vintage Double Hose, not off eBay. Some of the older second stages are prone to crack, remember they are 30 years old or so. Also the hoses will be old and need to be replaced, etc. It is cheaper to purchase from VDH and you know the regs are top notch and won't have any unpleasant surprises.

The Titan LX was the sweet spot in the US Divers line for the longest time (I think they call it the core now). In my opinion that would be a better reg than an SE2. A plain old Titan is similar in performance to an SE2.

Last edited:
I thought the se2 and titan would be similar but was not sure. If the op has not already purchased the titan I was going to recommend he contact VDH. Great prices for regs that seem to be more than adequate for new divers. Plus their customer service has been awesome in my experience.

The Titan came in 2 models. The regular Titan and the Titan LX (Now branded as the Core). The difference was the LX came with a balanced second stage while the Titan had an unbalanced one. The Conshelf SE2 had an unbalanced second stage also. So it would be comparable to a regular Titan. Bryan and Luis H know much more about this regulator than me hopefully they will chime in. But to me it seemed an SE2 was a regular Conshelf 21 with a larger main hose and cosmetic changes.

There has been some cosmetic changes to the Titan over the years and the first stage has changed at least once. There is also some sort of quick disconnect version of the regulator. There are some closeout deals floating around on the Titan because AL updated the design again.

Last edited:
I have read as many of the post from fellow members looking for their first set of regulators.
I am a new OW diver, plan to dive in Florida and the Caribbean and local dive lakes. Stay within OW limits.
Just need some input if this item will serve my needs. DO not want to have to buy another set in the next 5 years.
I just hope you are talking about the Titan LX which is an excellent reg.
I guess Brian was referring to that one, because it is true that you might want another reg one day, but you quite sure don't need another model in your life again.....
A different thing it is if you should write about the standard Titan (non ACD) Series with the notorious unbalanced QC Titan 2nd.
It has been probably one of the worsed Aqualung 2nds ever built and everybody should be happy the they took it finally out of their program this year. They had been really crap (in comparison to the quality you can expect normally from Aqualung).
When they implemented the QC Titan 2nd in 2010 there were so many complaints especially from Dive Businesses who used them as fleet regs that one year later the excellent Classic Titan 2nd came back in the catalog where one could choose which model he would like on his Titan 1st.
The Titan 1st stage is not as good as the Pre 2008 Titan, the components seem cheaper and the balancing is slightly worse, but in general is that 1st okay.
So, in case you are considering buying one of the standard Titan (non ACD)1sts (not the Titan LX which has been disscontinued in 2014), it would be important IMO that your Dealer is not trying to sell you the Titan with the QC Titan 2nds, which probably a lot will do that year to get them out of their shelfs.
If you should choose a standard Titan 1st with a Classic Titan 2nd, you will have not an excellent reg as with a Titan LX, but you will have a solid reg that will serve you well for many years.
It's a good value for the money and the Classic Titan 2nd is BTW one of the best simple downstream 2nds ever built.
Good luck!:)

All true. The Titan's are all great regs- the QC model may not be as good as the rest but I know people who own them and they have had no problems, and I can tell you it was/is a better breather than both the SE2's I owned years ago not matter how carefully they were tuned. The Titan LX is definitely the pick of the bunch.

RTC'83,

Buy the AquaLung Core with a Core Octo. It is a few dollars more than a Titan but you get so much more in a balanced reg setup and with an Automatic Closure Device (which will keep water out of your 1st stage in the rinse tank if you forget to put on the dust cap...which kinda keeps water out). For the average recreational diver this is reg set I recommend to my customers. It WILL serve you well for the next 5 plus years.

~Oldbear~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom