Aqualung SolAfx wetsuits or Henderson Thermoprene™ 8/7mm Hood attached Semi Dry Jumps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
If you have or have used one of these would you recommend it? How much warmer does it REALLY keep you compared to the standard 7mm?? How warm does it keep you in comparison to a drysuit? Don't have the $$$ for a drysuit but thinking this might be much warmer.....any opinions or thoughts welcome.
Thank you!!!

I have heard very good things about the Aqualung. Theres a guy on here who goes by TomZ that dives one whom I dive with. From everything I have seen, he likes it. He probably wouldn't mind if you messaged him about it. He's on a couple times a week. I do now its got a pretty good zipper on it. YKK all metal I believe.

I'll caution you : Try one on first. You need a standard size head!

I wear a size small wetsuit and a medium or large hood (depending on make / type)...thus, I don't fit in a solafx.

I have been diving the Aqualung for the past 3 years. I dive in Lake Michigan and use the suit all season long. I use the suit from 48-65 degrees. I am very satisfied with the suit. Ease of donning'doffing is excellent. Very comfortable to wear during surface intervals. The only other semi-dry that I would recommend that you check out is Excel Polar Hydroflex. However, MOST people would say invest in the drysuit- especially now that the $1000 range is a segment of the drysuit market (Whites Fusion One, ScubaPro. etc)

I agree with everything Dan1219 says. I own the Solafx. Probably have 80 dives on it. No issues. I use it in Ohio generally from April thru October. Sometimes I back it up with Lavacore.

I went to this suit because I could not stand the buoyancy and weight issues with the farmer john 7 mils. The SolaFX is much easier to use and just as warm, IMO. I use 22lbs vs 30 plus lbs with the FJ style.

It is a good workhorse of a wetsuit. No problems with the fit/zipper or the hood. I tried a similar Aqualung suit at my LDS to ensure the fit before ordering.

However, in the Midwest, a dry suit is the way to go. I am still working on that!

I have about 25 dives on a Solafx in Virginia quarries and it is pretty warm. The integrated hood keeps water from leaking down the neck and it is slightly thicker than the 7mm suit.

Thanks everyone, can't afford a drysuit, so I think from what I hear the Solafx is the way to go....

---------- Post Merged at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:36 PM ----------

I meant, thinking this might be much warmer than regular 7mm....not than a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom