Aqualung SEA Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traveler218

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I currently own an Aqualung Titan regulator. It is in great shape and I like the way it breaths. The problem is that the first stage only has one high pressure port. I would like to have a second HP port for my wireless transmitter. In looking for a solution I came across an Aqualung SEA regulator in like new condition. I can't seem to find much information about the SEA (first stage only).

Can anyone tell me if it would make a good first stage to replace my Titan?

The SEA (like the Titan) is one of the Conshelf series of regulators that started way back in the 1960s. Internally, all the Conshelf regulators are virtually identical and use the same parts kit. Inside, the Conshelf SEA is the same as your Titan. The only difference is in the port arrangement and external appearance. A Conshelf SEA in good condition will definitely serve you well.

Traveler218:

If you're referring to the SEA first stage that was later renamed the Cousteau first stage, which has four low pressure ports and two high pressure ports, then it will work provided that you use a short extension hose for the transmitter. That first stage was sold with the Micra, Micra+, SEA4 and Glacier second stages. Mine had a 1/2 inch primary low pressure port. It's a great first stage, although it is very heavy (just in case you're planning on travelling with it). Never had any problems with them and provided all the air I needed, even at the depth limit of recreational diving.

The high pressure port is positioned too closely to the low pressure port. You will need to daisy chain several extension plugs or just use a six inch high pressure hose. Depending on the fitting of the high pressure hose, you may also need a small spool to connect the transmitter to those (commonly used with pressure gauges).

Thanks for the replies. The information all sounds consistent with what I was told today. The price seemed good so I think I'll go with it.

Putting the transmitter on a short hose was recommended by a dive shop in Maui, even on my current regulator. They said it would lessen the likely hood that someone would try to pick the rig up using the transmitter as a handhold. Sounds like now I have another reason as well.

Will, you are close, the filter in the SEA is different than the Conshelf/Titan. :)
Like Ouvea said, the LP port is 1/2, not the standard 3/8 so plan on getting an adapter- $7 or so. You can get the 1/2 hoses but they are harder to find so just adapting it is the best idea. While somewhat heavy, I travel with one becuase of the ease of service. The 2 main parts that may fail are the HP seat and the balance chamber oring, both of which are very easy to access without a total dissambly of the reg.

The SEA is a fine earlier version of the current Legend 1st stage.

Incorrect. While they are both balanced diaphragm and do use the same seat, orings ect, the legend is enviro sealed- the SEA's spring chamber is not. Thats like saying the Titan is the same at the legend.

.......the Supreme version of the SEA/Cousteau is environmentally sealed.
Conshelf = Titan
SEA(s) = Legend

It's not the presence of the enviro seal that separates the regs, it's the shape/workings of the 1st stage.
The Titan/Conshelf are barrel shaped 1st stages.
The SEA/Legend T shaped.
......different arrangement of parts and air routing.

Any USD/AquaLung diaphragm single hose 1st stage can be fitted with an environmental seal.

The dive shop is including the adapter, just one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for all the info.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2013 at 08:25 AM ----------

Why not use the first stage you have. Just add an adapter such as this one.
HP 90 Degree Swivel - 2 Ports - Northeast Scuba Supply

Thanks for the suggestion. I asked about something like this at my LDS and was told they were not available. I will check into this as an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom