Aqualung regs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To elaborate just a little on the DIR. The Core second stage has an outer retainer screw, the one you can see that holds the purge cover in place. Remove that and you find a second retainer and a slip washer that keep the diaphragm in place. DIR and such of that ilk evolved from cave diving in Florida principally, penetration diving, overhead and significant deco are common. Second stages that can be partly disassembled underwater get the nod over a second stage like the Core that would need a tool possibly to remove the diaphragm to clear debris. The other issue is hose routing. While the Core first stage, IMO, has excellent hose routing for single tank use, the routing is not ideal for twins. And DIR divers are heavy into manifolded twin sets with dual regs. Plus it is AL and not Hog or Dive Rite or Halcyon or whatever. And I am not be dismissive of these things, not at all. Different diving groups have differing needs and the Core was not meant to address that niche of diving. Make no mistake or misunderstanding, the Core is a reliable and top performing regulator.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-31-at-4-07-56-PM.png

James

It is the Titan that I have. I have had to replace the octopus and that does not have a name on it but my original second stage has Titan on it.

My local shop charges £100 to service Aqualung but more for other brands but after what I was told last time, I would rather put the money towards a new set and am happy to stick with Aqualung

In your original post you did not describe the condition of your gear or how you take care of it. Based on your post describing the condition of your first stage, perhaps its time for 2 things:
1. a new reg set.
2. more attentiveness in how you take care of your life-support equipment.

As others have mentioned, the Core is good regulator with a decent price tag. At 350 pounds sterling, that is decent deal compared to what it costs in the US. You may find a better deal from sites or shops based in Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, etc, but at the current pound to euro conversion you are not getting a bad deal if you are getting 1st stage and two 2nd stages for 350 pounds.

Keep your old regs and use them to get started in learning to service your gear.

Good luck and happy bubbles.

-Z

2. more attentiveness in how you take care of your life-support equipment.

We do look after our equipment. However, a lot of our diving is done while travelling in S.E. Asia and it is not always possible to clean and dry things as thoroughly as we would like to before having to pack them away. I realise that this will have an impact after a few years but there are times when there is not a lot we can do about it.

As others have mentioned, the Core is good regulator with a decent price tag. At 350 pounds sterling, that is decent deal compared to what it costs in the US. You may find a better deal from sites or shops based in Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, etc, but at the current pound to euro conversion you are not getting a bad deal if you are getting 1st stage and two 2nd stages for 350 pounds.

I think this is what I will go for after reading the replies on this thread. I think I can get 10% off that price and it includes a gauge so it does seem a good deal. (Getting anything from Europe is not as easy as it used to be so probably better to stick with buying from a UK shop!)

Keep your old regs and use them to get started in learning to service your gear.

Yes, that sounds a good idea!

Good luck and happy bubbles.

Thanks.... and thanks for the rest of the advice on this thread.

Uh, no, there is not. The AL Core Supreme is a top performing regulator. It is light weight for travel and is rated Superior on the ANSTI machine. It can be serviced anywhere. Is it the darling of the DIR world, no. Is it a damn good regulator, YES! And I have one and I can afford what I want and the Core Supreme is what I wanted. It sits at a performance to price ratio point that is hard to beat considering it is a name brand product.

And yes, stepping up to the Core is a worthwhile step over the Titan.

The Core Supreme vs the standard Core, the Supreme has a heat exchanger on the second stage, both have metal inner barrels. The Supreme has an environmentally sealed first stage and is slightly detuned from the standard Core. I bumped the IP up on mine and that is the real difference. The Core Octopus is a Supreme version, note it has the snowflake and the heat exchanger.

James

Do you recall what the IP was on the Core Supreme before you bumped it up? Did you need to adjust the cracking pressure on the second stage afterwards?
I bought an Apeks TX100 from the UK once about 15 years ago and it breathed like crap until I filed off a small bump on the shuttle valve that was specifically designed to detune the reg for cold water use!

Do you recall what the IP was on the Core Supreme before you bumped it up? Did you need to adjust the cracking pressure on the second stage afterwards?
I bought an Apeks TX100 from the UK once about 15 years ago and it breathed like crap until I filed off a small bump on the shuttle valve that was specifically designed to detune the reg for cold water use!

I measured it at 124 psi and I bumped it to 135 psi. No, I did not need to make any adjustment to the second stage. The second stage of the Core is pneumatically balanced and not especially sensitive to IP. The IP pressure I measured and set to are in line with the service manual, 8.5 Bar +/- .5 for the Core Supreme and 9.5 Bar +/- .5 for the Core. You will not notice much difference unless you dive at depths well below 100 feet.

The service manual for the Core second stage does not provide differing part numbers for the shuttle valve for the Core, Core Supreme and the Core Octopus (which is a Supreme model). Do you know different?

James

I measured it at 124 psi and I bumped it to 135 psi. No, I did not need to make any adjustment to the second stage. The second stage of the Core is pneumatically balanced and not especially sensitive to IP. The IP pressure I measured and set to are in line with the service manual, 8.5 Bar +/- .5 for the Core Supreme and 9.5 Bar +/- .5 for the Core. You will not notice much difference unless you dive at depths well below 100 feet.

The service manual for the Core second stage does not provide differing part numbers for the shuttle valve for the Core, Core Supreme and the Core Octopus (which is a Supreme model). Do you know different?

James

Thanks James
I didn't know that the UK version of the Apeks second stages was different from the USA version at that time either, that difference being a small protrusion on the shuttle valve that limited detuning the cracking pressure- seemed silly to me and I filed it off with an obvious improvement in cracking pressure. But I am a warm water diver so whatever!
I don't know much about Aqualung balanced reg parts and have only owned one- a Titan LX that I have had for 10 years.

I think the Core is one of the best bang-for-the-buck regs on the market. If you care about clearing the second stage in the field, just tighten the retaining rings to finger tight.

The non removable crown is not an issue if it's serviced by a half-way competent tech.

Solid performance, proven workhorse design, free parts for life -- what's not to like?

I think the Core is one of the best bang-for-the-buck regs on the market. If you care about clearing the second stage in the field, just tighten the retaining rings to finger tight.

The non removable crown is not an issue if it's serviced by a half-way competent tech.

Solid performance, proven workhorse design, free parts for life -- what's not to like?

The Titan LX (which became the Core) crown is removable, it is disappointing that the standard Titan crown is not. I do not have the PD for that one, we sure about that? I have two Conshelf XIV regulators that are, well, they are old, they look and work like new and the crown (volcano orifice) is not replaceable in them either. How long does something need to last before we can say we got our money worth, :wink:?

And you are correct, it is possible with the Core second stage to set the two retaining rings finger tight for field removal without a tool. And that is plenty tight. I have mine set that way. On the Core, you do need to index the inner diaphragm ring to align the purge cover which has a mating index, purely aesthetic.

James

Reactions: Zef
The Titan LX (which became the Core) crown is removable, it is disappointing that the standard Titan crown is not. I do not have the PD for that one, we sure about that?

You're right - it's a removable crown on the Core (and post 2011 Titans) so even better!

Reactions: Zef
The earlier Titan LX that had the straight first stage and no ACD, you can see the removable crown, item 14:

Screen-Shot-2021-09-02-at-4-54-43-PM.png

The Conshelf XIV, no removable crown :( :

Screen-Shot-2021-09-02-at-4-56-57-PM.png

Titan series with removable crown:

Screen-Shot-2021-09-02-at-4-59-56-PM.png

Core with removable crown:

Screen-Shot-2021-09-02-at-5-01-35-PM.png

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom