Aqualung Legend vs Scubapro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're hell bent on buying a new reg set you'll not go wrong with either AL or SP. the MK17 can have a substantial ip swing which irritates me a little.

Currently SP do not offer the MK19, apparently only a small ip swing, as a set with the G260 only in black tech/carbon which is a pretty penny.

It is correct the two are not sold as a “combo”, but one can order the Mk19 and a G260 as two separate units. Now, the Mk19 and G260 Black are being sold as one unit. It is pricey and it looks really good. If one has the money and wants it, as a friend of mine did, then go for it.

The IP swing has no impact on recreational diving. The reality is, only the technician is going to notice it when checking the IP during servicing, assuming the tech checks it at 3000 and 500 psi. Otherwise there is nothing to worry about.

I had a SP A700 with MK17 at the insistence of my LDS... Hated it. Would never breathe properly. Had it sent back to SP 2x for service and inspection. Could never get it working right. Would breathe fine when my head was down, but as soon as I picked my head up to look forward, the breathing became difficult and uncomfortable. LGS worked on it also. Ended up trading it in for what I paid for it to get an Aqualung LX and wish I had done it sooner.

Soooo, I'm in the Aqualung camp of things... Love my new reg. No problems and it breathes just fine for me. When you don't notice you're breathing off a reg and can enjoy the dive for what it is, it's perfect.

It is correct the two are not sold as a “combo”, but one can order the Mk19 and a G260 as two separate units. Now, the Mk19 and G260 Black are being sold as one unit. It is pricey and it looks really good. If one has the money and wants it, as a friend of mine did, then go for it.

The IP swing has no impact on recreational diving. The reality is, only the technician is going to notice it when checking the IP during servicing, assuming the tech checks it at 3000 and 500 psi. Otherwise there is nothing to worry about.

I know and I know, but thank you, the additional info and clarity maybe helpful to others.

Stick with Apeks(sealed) if you want a easy and simple DIY.
If you want to change it to an hobby, obsession etc etc then old SP has more than enough to satisfy your insatiable thirst.

@shurite7 and @buddhasummer had it right with a Mk19/G260 if you want environmentally sealed and an improvement on the venerable G250.

But if you want to never have to buy another reg set, consider the existing pairing of Mk19 and D420. Now that's a reg set! :D Ahem, leaves Aqualung in the dust.

"But if you want to never have to buy another reg set, consider the existing pairing of Mk19 and D420. Now that's a reg set! :D Ahem, leaves Aqualung in the dust."

Rob, noooooo, I only just moved on from that idea.

Sorry, @buddhasummer . I'm up to three now. My sidemount sets and the bailout reg on my CCR. Absolutely magnificent.

But I still get my Poseidons and my Mk10/G250 wet from time to time, so they don't get lonely.

A question, I dive Apeks FSR first stage and I don't want to have to change hose. "If" I bought a MK19 does anyone have any idea if I'd need a longer BC hose? I currently use a 16" corrugated with a 22" hose, it's a near perfect match length wise. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom