Aqualung Legend LX First Stage Failure at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read this thread with interest as I have both Titan LX and Legend LX 1st and second stage regulators that fall within the AL service bulletin serial numbers. I had both sets serviced at Diver's Supply in early December 2018 before reading this information. Can I assume that since both reg sets were serviced by an authorized dealer after the bulletin was issued that the ACD yoke system has been properly tightened to the recommended torque specification?
Whether you had proper torque or not at service, if you wish to keep your ACD, I'd strongly recommend asking them to switch out the shutter valve for the new one with the ridge (same part number). See Shutter valve pic for a pic of the new shutter valve.
That way, you'll prevent gas shutoff if you have a double whammy at depth: loosening of the valve and a tank valve with a 6mm insert.
If Diver's Supply can't give you a straight answer or hasn't realized that the part has changed (there's been no Service Bulletin), then send your regs to @JackD342 . He'll take care of you.

I have read this thread with interest as I have both Titan LX and Legend LX 1st and second stage regulators that fall within the AL service bulletin serial numbers. I had both sets serviced at Diver's Supply in early December 2018 before reading this information. Can I assume that since both reg sets were serviced by an authorized dealer after the bulletin was issued that the ACD yoke system has been properly tightened to the recommended torque specification?
Unless the folks that serviced the set were totally clueless, the very act of servicing the unit means the torque is now correct, as the part that was possibly assembled wrong at the factory is removed and reinstalled during the service process. That recall did specify to take action if the SN was within the range, and the set had NOT been serviced since purchase.

Just for curiosity sake, I'll try to reach out to Aqualung US and see of they can confirm that the old version of the shutter valve is definitely gone from inventory. With a running part change like that, there is always the possibility of receiving and old version when you think you are getting a new version if the warehouse is less than meticulous on product rotation.

I will check with them. I do remember it took about 4 weeks to get the regs back because they were waiting on parts for one. Just guessing but I would doubt a tech would clearly remember whether they installed the new type or old type of shutter valve. Assuming one cannot tell from visual inspection? The regs were last ( first ) serviced late 2015 by an authorized AL dealer so they had been serviced since purchase.

I will check with them. I do remember it took about 4 weeks to get the regs back because they were waiting on parts for one. Just guessing but I would doubt a tech would clearly remember whether they installed the new type or old type of shutter valve. Assuming one cannot tell from visual inspection? The regs were last ( first ) serviced late 2015 by an authorized AL dealer so they had been serviced since purchase.
Just look under the yoke dust cap at the 1st stage inlet. I doubt they would have changed the part, as there has been no such direction to do so.
I expect that you will see a small metal "disc" in the center of the opening. Push down on the outer ring, and you will see how the ACD works, The inlet fitting is on a spring that you can push down, with the ACD shutter remaining at a fixed height, this opening the valve.

If the top of that shutter valve has a raised ridge about 2mm wide and less than 1mm high, then it is the new part. VERY unlikely that it was changed to the new part.

@Yellowdog , here is what @JackD342 is talking about.
Screenshot_20190215-160804_Chrome.jpg If your reg looks like this, it's the New part with the ridge.
20190215_160657.jpg If your yoke retainer looks like this, you have the old (flat) shutter valve.
Hope this helps!

Got it - Thanks. I definitely do not have the new valve. Will be boxing and shipping out to get the new shutter valve in all of my AL regs.

Got it - Thanks. I definitely do not have the new valve.
Better send @JackD342 a PM, so you can resolve the problem once and for all. Or send the regs to me, and I'll replace the yoke retainer with an Aqualung Titan yoke retainer with no ACD (see post #231 for pics).

Better send @JackD342 a PM, so you can resolve the problem once and for all. Or send the regs to me, and I'll replace the yoke retainer with an Aqualung Titan yoke retainer with no ACD (see post #231 for pics).
We are already in touch separately. Thanks.

Sneaky, but I like it.

I hope this information is useful to someone. 25 dives after a complete rebuild service for my Aqualung Legend LX I had my first stage fail shut at 60 feet 40 minutes into the dive. Fortunately my buddy recognized the international signal for out of air - eyes as wide as saucers - and he had his reg in my mouth ASAP. I had 1500 lbs left in the tank (although the gauge fell to zero until we got back to the boat). Took the regulator to a different Aqualung authorized service dive shop for analysis/repair and the issue was determined to be the ACD. From the dive shop - "We found that the ACD inner post valve and yoke nut had come loose." The regulator was rebuilt as listed on the intake documents and theses parts have been torqued to their proper specifications". So, holy cow - a bad service can result in a failed shut condition on the first stage with no prior indication that things are going south. Caveat Emptor.

I'm glad you're ok. With any kind of DIN fitting it's important to check regularly if it hasn't come loose. Sometimes DIN valves get a bit "stuck" and if you turn the body of the 1st stage to un-stick it, you can inadvertently loosen the DIN coupling. It's not unique to this regulator but evidently the ACD creates an extra potential issue if it happens.

Incidentally, I have an LX supreme from the generation prior to the introduction of the ACD. It's a truly outstanding regulator and there's a good chance that if you want to be rid of the ACD that you can retro-fit yours with a DIN coupling from the previous generation. Every new "gimick" seems to introduce new problems. It's not necessary and if you can get rid of it, then it might be worth considering doing so.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom