Aqualung Impulse 2nd stage metal tube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobbyT22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
AL experts out there, does anyone know if the Impulse second stage (circa 1999) has a metal breathing tube? The reg body is clearly plastic, but someone told me it has a metal tube inside. This person is not a tech, neither am I, and I don't want to pull mine apart just to check. Thanks in advance if you know one way or the other.

Yes it does.......but from what I remember it is not a balanced design like the G250, Apeks, Zeagle.

OK, thanks. Good to know. Love the reg, it is a workhorse for me.

U.S. Divers/Aqualung did have two versions of the impulse IIRC. They had the standard impulse as well as a cold water version called the impulse cryo... It was also marketed prior to that under the seaquest name.... good regs. It was my recollection as well that they were an unbalanced 2nd.

Actually it is a balance second stage. I think you are talking about the balancing chamber which is made out of metal.

I just pulled up my parts cat on it, it does have a metal barrel but is not balanced. According to the parts cat, the Impusle, SQ XR2 are the same reg. Both also came in Cryo versions which added a little more metal at the inlet and adjustment ends to act as heat sinks.

Thanks all. Appreciate the info. I knew this was the place to ask.
Rob

It's a bit of a strange reg (for me).
I have 3 second stages.....they all breath really hard out of the water and honk like mad, but they do breath very well when submerged. They are very frustrating to tune as I feel that they should breath better when out of the water.
I have also had to retire a couple because the soft purge cover crumbled to pieces.

My XR honks out of the water too but is fine UW. I gave up trying to quiet it..

I think the Impulse is a balance second stage it does not have the standard demand valve style but it does have the standard balance design. It's been awhile since I work on one of these and all the old catalog I have don't say one away or the other.

Attachments

• Impulse reg..jpg
    Impulse reg..jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 197
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom