Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
Another computer thread because I could not find all the information in previous threads... I am looking to replace my wife's Suunto Gekko because its pressure sensor developed a vivid imagination - after just 30 dives... My other computer is a 17 year old Vyper. But after the Gekko experience, I would prefer to give another manufacturer a try.
I have not followed the market for the last ten+ years. It looks like you get a lot more bang for the buck now at the low end, with support for multiple EAN mixes, logbook download, free dive and gauge mode, and user-replaceable or rechargeable batteries being the standard. In the $250 and up range, a lot have digital compasses as well.
I could get the Mares Matrix for around $280 or the Aqualung I450T for around $350. Both include a USB cable. $400 is the limit which I could justify, given that the computer would likely go on fewer than 20 dives per year. So no Shearwater, I am afraid. Do any of you have first-hand experience with both atrix and I450T?
How do the compasses compare? We might need a compass on maybe 10% of our dives, so if I could just not pack the mechanical one at all, that would be a benefit. But that only works if the digital compass in the computer actually works.
How do the deco algorithms compare? Is Mares RGBM as conservative as Suunto's implementation? I read a thread from 2003 where Bruce Wienke distinguished between the "rec RGBM" and "real RGBM" implementations of the time, but I don't know how much has changed since then.
It is unlikely that I will ever purchase the AI transmitter for the I450T, so that feature is irrelevant in our case.
It would be even better if the DC had Bluetooth connectivity so I can download the logbook to my phone, but apparently no watch-size computer in that price range seems to have that feature - if I overlooked any, I'd be thankful for a comment! Abandoning the watch size, there is the Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix which apparently ticks all the boxes, but I really dislike the design of the thing... Then there is the Deepblu Cosmiq+ for about $385, but currently unavailable and with a need to charge it almost every day.

Looking forward to your suggestions! Cheers

Back
Top Bottom