Aqualung E6498E-3000 1981 tank - still has air in it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akchan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a used E6498E tank. Seems to fall under the bad alloy timeframe?

Tank says
CTC/DOT-E6498E-3000
P372556 USD
9 / 81

The tank still holds air. Can sometime help ID if this is one of the bad tanks? Last visual inspection was in 95. Air has been in there for many years.

Would it pass hydro?

Unless it was manufactured by Catalina it is probably no good as they are the only manufacturer that I am aware of that was not using the "bad" alloy in 1981. The problem is that even if the tank is good many shops have blanket policies to not fill any aluminum tank from 1991 or earlier.

Hi,

I bought a used E6498E tank. Seems to fall under the bad alloy timeframe?

Tank says
CTC/DOT-E6498E-3000
P372556 USD
9 / 81

The tank still holds air. Can sometime help ID if this is one of the bad tanks? Last visual inspection was in 95. Air has been in there for many years.

Would it pass hydro?
I believe this is one of the affected tanks. Here is the article I found. Others more knowledgeable than I can confirm it.
This is the article I found that listed it.
Scuba cylinders manufactured from aluminium alloy 6351

An aluminum tank that old is probably more trouble than it is worth. Too many places would look at it side-eye and not service it or let it on their boat. I would just crack the valve and drain it and turn it in for scrap.

definitely 6351 bad alloy, all of the exemption 6498 tanks were. possibly still would pass hydro and visual eddy inspection. bigger issue is finding a dive shop that won't cause a fuss filling it and it will cost more to keep in service also due to the visual eddy requirement. not worth the hassle, plenty of cheap 6061 tanks out there or even vintage 3AA lp72s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom