Aqualung Conself, Aquarius, Calypso???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. I'm finding that Regulator Savvy is easier to understand. He explains the physics better and I like that he also goes over the formulas for the calculations. It has been a long time since college physics so I find the review helpful. At this point I've focused on Regulator Savvy and I'll go back to Harlow's book after I finish it. I'm only up to how a balanced diaphragm works. I was really amazed at how simple the balanced piston regulator is. You are right Herman when you said it isn't rocket science. I have to admit that the preface in Regulator Savvy did scare me a bit, I guess he was trying to illustrate how important quality work is and he did a good job.

I'll keep you informed how things progress.

All the tools arrived and everything looks good. Some more reading and I'll be ready to start.

A word of caution, in the Conshelf, the circlip and sometimes the backup ring in the balance chamber go in a specific way and should not be installed backwards. The circlip will have rounded edge and a square edge (look closely) the rounded edge goes in first- this holds true for any reg that uses them. Many (most) of the balance chamber backup rings have a flat side and a concave side, the concave side faces out and against the oring. Obvious but not if you are not looking closely.

The Conshelf XIV has another advantage over the other regs you mentioned. It is the US Navy reg of choice so it is still in production and parts are easier to get.

Is the Conshelf SE2 similar to or the same as the Conshelf XIV?

Is the Conshelf SE2 similar to or the same as the Conshelf XIV?

The internal parts of all the Conshelf first stages are basically the same. The major difference between the different models is the ports configuration.

The second stages did change some. Many of the later models went to plastic second stages, but the internal parts of those second stages were the same as the metal second stage.

The Conshelf SE2 has a plastic second stage, but internally it uses the same parts as the Conshelf XIV. The first stage is the same, except for the port configuration.

I just scored a Conshelf XIV second stage on eBay to use on my PRAM/HPR.

Looking forward to reading Regulator Savvy and rebuilding it.

I finally did the overhaul of my Conshelf XIV first and second stages tonight. All the help from everyone here,especially Herman and Luis made it very easy. All the tips had me prepared for the job. The manuals and books were very helpful too. I truly understand how the regulator works and that made me feel confident enough to take on the task. I was really surprised how easy it was. The tools I bought from Herman were a huge help. It also helped that the regulator I bought off of Ebay was in very good condition and it didn't look like it had very many dives on it since its last service.

The IP was 150 psi and very stable before I started and there were no leaks. I was able to get it right at 140 psi with no creep and the second stage would free flow nicely when put into 1-1 1/2 inches of water, it would open before water would run into the mouth piece. I am going to test it in the pool sometime this week before the first dive. I am hoping the first dive will be this coming week end at La Jolla shores.

I also want to thank Vintaqe Double Hose for the Kits to get this done.

Thank you all again!

IMGP8163.jpgIMGP8164.jpgIMGP8165.jpgIMGP8167.jpgIMGP8169.jpgIMGP8170.jpgIMGP8172.jpgI finally did the overhaul of my Conshelf XIV first and second stages tonight. All the help from everyone here,especially Herman and Luis made it very easy. All the tips had me prepared for the job. The manuals and books were very helpful too. I truly understand how the regulator works and that made me feel confident enough to take on the task. I was really surprised how easy it was. The tools I bought from Herman were a huge help. It also helped that the regulator I bought off of Ebay was in very good condition and it didn't look like it had very many dives on it since its last service.

The IP was 150 psi and very stable before I started and there were no leaks. I was able to get it right at 140 psi with no creep and the second stage would free flow nicely when put into 1-1 1/2 inches of water, it would open before water would run into the mouth piece. I am going to test it in the pool sometime this week before the first dive. I am hoping the first dive will be this coming week end at La Jolla shores.

I also want to thank Vintaqe Double Hose for the Kits to get this done.

Thank you all again!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom