Aqualung Aquarius servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the HP seat in your Aquarius is working with no IP creep, then it doesn't need to be replaced. When you do need to replace it, it is reversible. Just push it out of the piston and check the reverse side. If the other side of seat hasn't been used before, just flip it over and use the fresh side. Those seats last for years and really don't need to be changed at every service. The HP seat on the Aquarius I bought in 1978 is the original and has never been flipped. I've only encountered a couple Aquarius first stages that needed a new seat. As long as the IP locks and doesn't creep, the seat is still good to go.

The LP seat in the second stage is the same one that is used by Aqua-Lung for virtually all their second stages. Conshelf, Aquarius, Calypso and Titan second stages use the same LP seat.

PM me with your address and I can send you a set of O-rings. I may even have a HP seat lying around somewhere, if I can find it.

Paladin has given you some great advise. The reason the HP seat probably does not need replacement is that it is only being used when the regulator is pressurized. At other times, the HP spring holds the piston off the seat--it is simply in the air.

SeaRat

Thanks all. I've now downloaded the service manual and have a subsidiary question. This sucker is going swimming for sure.

superstar mentions the HP and LP seats being in the Trident manual. That sucker is 360 pages long and there's a lot of "seat" and no "Aquarius." Does anyone know if there's a generic I could use? Or an USD equivalent from another model? Paladin mentions Claypso 2nds can be serviced from the same manual - are the parts the same?

---------- Post Merged at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:52 PM ----------

View attachment 130383
ok, too quick to post.....what i should have said was "are these are the parts superstar says to get out of the Trident catalogue, and everything else is just an o-ring right?"

---------- Post Merged at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:52 PM ----------

View attachment 130384
And I found this on ebay. It says 1998-2003 Calypso, Aquarius & Mirage 1st stages. I guess it will work just fine in a 1982 Aquarius?

Some of the parts will work, others will not. The 1994 to 1997 version of the Aquarius (New Style) was identical to the 1998 to 2003 Calypso but the Old Style Aquarius had some differences. I have both types of Aquarius and the Old Style was simpler in construction and slightly easier to service. If your HP seat is in good shape, all you need are the O-rings and a filter, if yours is dirty.

Thanks everyone. I emailed Bryan at Vintage Double Hose and he's going to order some HP seats to make me up a service pack - he is smoking fast with the customer service. I'll update this thread with a post when I've got some results. I'm diving this weekend so I'll give it test before I start playing with it.

Paladin: Thanks for your offer of a set of o-rings but I'm in Australia. I've got one of the dive o-ring kits that have 50 different types so I'lll roll with that unless I get stuck on a particularly size.

Bryan has the fastest customer service I have ever encountered. And he knows his stuff about vintage gear.

Have fun this weekend!

Yes, I was talking to Bryan and he is planning on adding service kits for the Aquarius. They are simple, but it is nice to have all the parts you may need in front of you, before you open a regulator. Even if the old seat is still good... it wouldn't be the first time that someone drops one and can't find it... not that I have ever done that. :)

Yes, I was talking to Bryan and he is planning on adding service kits for the Aquarius. They are simple, but it is nice to have all the parts you may need in front of you, before you open a regulator. Even if the old seat is still good... it wouldn't be the first time that someone drops one and can't find it... not that I have ever done that. :)

This sounds like great news to me. I think. Pardon my novice-ness ut would a service kit include needed items for the 2nd stage?

I bought an Aquarius 2nd stage off eBay hoping it would be a good octo for the Phoenix. Also hoping it will be the first reg I open up and try my hand at, well, seeing the innards and adjusting it, etc.

As long as the diaphragm and exhaust valve are in good shape (and they probably are), all you'll need to replace is the LP seat and the air inlet o-ring. Both are standard Aqua-Lung sizes still being used.

You can also get the seat and O-ring from Bryan at VintageDoubleHose.com

The seat is a stock item on the web site.
Shop Online

The O-ring is the same size as a yoke valve O-ring, but it needs to be a 70 durometer. For tank valve I normally use a 90 durometer.

Thanks everyone for your help. This has worked out really well - I've got a heap of gear up and running for less than the cost of a new tank and I really appreaciate your time and comments. 4 steel 72s all passed hydro. The 1974 one with no pressure and no hydro since 1982 was apparently flawless inside and out - go figure. The most recent hydro amongst them was 1993, only 1 out of 4 had a valve and none has been wet for at least 10 years but they all go just fine. And the tech-dude took saw my regs and threw a service in for cost of parts - apparently he loves Aquarius too. Breathes beautifully with a nice little Darth Vader noise to let you know its there. And the news kept getting better - my LDS loved it too and threw in a 1970s/80s USD pressure guage and she even wants to give me a second 2nd so I've got a full reg set. Sweet.

I'm diving it later in the week with some shark researchers. They do this cool "grab a shark by the tail and wrestle it into submission while your buddy tail tags it with the cattle ear tagging tool" so I'll try and get some sweet photos in my new (old) gear doing the Jaws thing.

Bryan@VDH, if you lurk on this board under a nom-de-net I'm still going to buy that Aquarius service kit when you put them up so I have them ready to go. A guy came in behind me with some Dacor Pacers and apparently it would have all ended badly with at most service places. I'm staying with the service tech though - he assembled a complete set of Pacer service parts out of a huge tackle box of reg parts and did the job on the spot - the guys is pretty freaky good. I even met a guy who services his own boat, tanks, rebreathers, trimix blending set, compressor, cameras, computers etc but won't do his own regs because he can't touch the guy for quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom