Aqualung Aquarius servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whaylonsmithers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All. Can anyone point me in the direction of repair parts for an Aqualung Aquarius? I bought a steel 72 on ebay for $20 and it came with the backpack and reg. Last hydro 1985 and in someones garage ever since. Condition looks good considering. It has 3LP and 1 HP on the 1st stage and the serial number starts with 82-

I've been searching through old SB posts and found a heap of good advice on stripping and cleaning. Thanks very much for your enthusiasm Paladin and others. This will be way cool to get going. I feel a strong need to take it out with some uber-techies just to watch their faces!

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 598
Nice picture of the jungle boots, both are classics.

Hi All. Can anyone point me in the direction of repair parts for an Aqualung Aquarius? I bought a steel 72 on ebay for $20 and it came with the backpack and reg. Last hydro 1985 and in someones garage ever since. Condition looks good considering. It has 3LP and 1 HP on the 1st stage and the serial number starts with 82-

I've been searching through old SB posts and found a heap of good advice on stripping and cleaning. Thanks very much for your enthusiasm Paladin and others. This will be way cool to get going. I feel a strong need to take it out with some uber-techies just to watch their faces!

Congrats! Welcome to the world of Aquarius divers. The USD Aquarius is one of the simplest, most dependable and rugged regulators ever built. Go to vintagedoublehose.com, click on the "manuals and catalogs" tab, click "continue," click "US Divers manuals,testing, parts drawings, all years covered," click "Aqua-Lung Repair Manual.pdf," scroll down to the section on the Aquarius. For the second stage, read the section on the Calypso second stage. They are identical to the Aquarius second.

The Aquarius is the easiest reg to service I have ever known and that simplicity carries over to make it bulletproof and reliable. I have several of them and still like to dive one every now and then.

Bear in mind that it is an unbalanced piston regulator and that when your tank pressure gets down to about 750psi, you will begin to experience slightly more resistance to breathing. Not much, but it is noticeable. Many divers like this as it serves as a warning to a distracted diver that he's getting low on air.

Have fun!

This was posted on an ebay description for an Aquarious regulator, who is the famous woman? I will add more clues later if nobody gets it.

The real "Age of Aquarious" diving legend goes to a scuba shop in North Palm Beach, FL. This infamous shop preached that the Aquarious was ALL the regulator that a sport diver would ever need. She (clue 1) sold more USD Aquarious regulators than any shop in the nation. This shop was THE anti fish murder shop, bring in a spear gun and mangle it at the shop to receive a free 2 tank drift dive off Palm Beach (clue 2). Dang I miss those dive shop characters - One did not have to like it to love it.

Thanks all. I've now downloaded the service manual and have a subsidiary question. This sucker is going swimming for sure.

superstar mentions the HP and LP seats being in the Trident manual. That sucker is 360 pages long and there's a lot of "seat" and no "Aquarius." Does anyone know if there's a generic I could use? Or an USD equivalent from another model? Paladin mentions Claypso 2nds can be serviced from the same manual - are the parts the same?

---------- Post Merged at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:52 PM ----------

regulator seats.jpg
ok, too quick to post.....what i should have said was "are these are the parts superstar says to get out of the Trident catalogue, and everything else is just an o-ring right?"

---------- Post Merged at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Aqualung aquarius repair parts.jpg
And I found this on ebay. It says 1998-2003 Calypso, Aquarius & Mirage 1st stages. I guess it will work just fine in a 1982 Aquarius?

The Trident A244 part you circled is for a diaphragm first stage like the Conshelf or the Titan. It is not for a piston regulator like the Aquarius. The seat for the Aquarius looks just like a small plastic cylindrical plug.

You are looking for both a LP and a HP seat. The LP seat is the round blue disk you have circled. The HP seat is a totally different item. You need something that looks like Trident numbers A240 and 246. I can't check the actual diameter you need any time soon, maybe Palidan can measure them for you. There are a several differnent diameters of that type of seat. I know he has found replacements before. It looks like a roughly 1/8 diameter by 1/8 long piece of white plastic, it's fairly tiny.
Although the kit on ebay might fit your second stage, I would not recommend it just due to cost. All you really need is the LP seat, a common oring or 2 and an exhaust valve. Even if you buy the orings in 100 ct bags you will still save a bunch

Duhh, I just checked Vintage Double Hose- here are the HP seats Shop Online
The exhaust valve - you will need to measure yours.
Be aware that old ones often flatten out with age so yours might be slightly wider than one shown, go with the one that is just smaller than yours Shop Online
The LP seat Shop Online
I would also suggest a new filter. This one will work fine, just don't use the spacer that comes with it. A new star washer would be a good idea too. I don't see on in Bryans catalog but I will bet he has them, shoot him an email and ask. Shop Online

Back
Top Bottom