Aqualung and gray markets...FYI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the industrial world I work quite close with the AL's/Suunto/Apex parent company Air Liquide. Honestly I can't imagine anybody in the middle to upper management agreeing to send any amount of product to a unauthorised dealer knowingly. I can say sales, bidding process, project execution, manufacturing and so forth, Air Liquide plays by the rules. I never hear about under the table stuff going on.

Secondly I can match or beat any internet price found on almost every product. It just depends on the profit margin I want. To move product and obtain cash flow I will do it at any margin to not lose the customer.

Aqualung and atomics not sold on line.

Actually, both are sold online.

Aqualung just does not allow authorized dealer sales online in the US. However, they allow online sales in other countries, such as Europe. go figure....

Atomics, does allow online sales now through online authorize dealers. This started sometime last year or so....

DwayneJ:
Oh please - No back tracking now. Your second and third posts pretty much clarify what your opinion is.

So you read someone's mind, then call them a liar?

My reply was actually the truth. There is no need for me to backtrack because if I am wrong about something I will admit it, as long as it can be proved, and not based on opinion. But there are also times when my opinion will change, when I read others input that seems more logical. I try to look at things with an open mind. But I tend not to be very open-minded when someone makes a bull s**t statement such as yours.
So, if you wish to continue to be clairvoyant, fine, but I would suggest that you check for cracks in that little crystal ball of yours.

But come on now. A BCD? Do you really think you would not be better served by using one?

All I need to know about a backplate is the dimensions, thickness, material, and whether the edges are radiused. As for the wing, all the relevant information is, again, online. Fit? I take care of that when I thread the harness. What else could I need to find out?

And you believe I purchase base on an emotional reaction, then you don't know me. Oh.. that's right. You don't know me. So don't be too quick to judge how I make decisions

I don't need to know you, I just need to understand the nature of the decision and the information available. If the only difference between the printed information and the information to be gained from actually holding the object is information with no objective relevance, then clearly the only remaining relevance of that incremental information can be emotional. I didn't say you make emotional decisions; I said that the only effect of laying hands on a lot of equipment (not all) is to emotionally sway the decision.

As a matter of fact my daughter used 5 BCD's before we settled on the Scubapro. Including one of my BPW's and 2 that came from another dive shops rental fleet.

OR you could simply have ordered an APPROPRIATELY SIZED backplate and wing, and threaded it to fit her.

I think I did better than those who read a review or a manufacturers sales pitch and then buy from a web based outlet and say "it feels great" Compared to what?

It's not about feelings, it's about function.

Because if AL isn't sold at LP, then the customer will just buy another brand.

BINGO!!! AL would rather sell it through LP than have Mares or Oceanic sell it to that same customer through LP.

Aqualung just does not allow authorized dealer sales online in the US. However, they allow online sales in other countries, such as Europe. go figure....

Other countries have stronger antitrust laws, and don't allow AL's little price control scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGratefulDiver
And you believe I purchase base on an emotional reaction, then you don't know me. Oh.. that's right. You don't know me. So don't be too quick to judge how I make decisions

I don't need to know you, I just need to understand the nature of the decision and the information available. If the only difference between the printed information and the information to be gained from actually holding the object is information with no objective relevance, then clearly the only remaining relevance of that incremental information can be emotional. I didn't say you make emotional decisions; I said that the only effect of laying hands on a lot of equipment (not all) is to emotionally sway the decision.
bfw ...

For the record, I do not know who you intended to quote here, but the quote you responded to was not posted by me.

In the future, when you refute someone else, I would appreciate it if you would not attribute to me things I did not say ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In the industrial world I work quite close with the AL's/Suunto/Apex parent company Air Liquide. Honestly I can't imagine anybody in the middle to upper management agreeing to send any amount of product to a unauthorised dealer knowingly.

They don't. They send an authorized dealer quantities they know full well he can't move on his own. Either they know what he's doing, or they're too naive to survive in the modern business world.

LP never has a shortage, and often has new products before the authorized dealers.
Either AL is complicit, or AL is a bunch of bumbling incompetents. Take your pick.

Secondly I can match or beat any internet price found on almost every product.

And if you do it enough, AL will pull your dealer status. Maybe I don't want to talk my LDS into letting me be one of the lucky few exceptions that they can make without getting axed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom