Aqua lung Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim

Reaction score
I am confused. I purchased two new Aqua lung / US Divers regulators 5 days apart in Dec. 1999, both from the Divers Direct store in Orlando Florida (an Aqualung dealer in 1999). One was a Micra, the other a Titan.
When I had the Micra serviced last week for the first time, the LDS operator told me that it was a "knock off" and not a real Aqua lung regulator. He said that he called US Divers and they confirmed that it was "knock off". The LDS tech serviced the reg but said that he would not guarantee it. I have the passport warantee cards for both regs.
The body of the Micra 1st stage has raised letters and numbers and the body machining inside the yoke doesn't look that refined. The Titan 1st stage has engraved numbers and looks more polished. Both 1st stages have the serial numbers stamped in the body. The Micra has "US Divers" on the 1st stage label whereas the Titan does not.
The tech at Divers Direct told me that when they were an aqua lung dealer that they received all of their regulators from Aqualung / US Divers in California.
Is there any way to get a definitive answer? Is it or is it not an aqua lung / US Divers regulator? Any suggestions?

Your beef is with Diver's Direct IF it is a "knockoff". (The serial number will be important here.) They owe you bigtime if so.

That is scary.... let us know what happens. As far as I know Divers Direct is a big diving store in Florida. Has anyone else heard of this ever happening? And if so how was this solved?

Crawl79:
That is scary.... let us know what happens. As far as I know Divers Direct is a big diving store in Florida. Has anyone else heard of this ever happening? And if so how was this solved?

I don't know about Divers Direct selling knockoffs but I did an annual on a micra that a custommer purchased at Leisure Pro and it was a possible knockoff..the pin that keeps the demand lever in place was rusted through like a old rusty nail..This is supposed to be stainless steel and it was not.If it broke while in use,which it was very close to doing,it would cut off air immediately..Regulator had been in use for less than 1 year..I replaced all parts and advised customer of problem..Same customer had a Sherwood bcd that the plastic on the end of the corrugated hose-where it meets with the top of the bcd-snapped/cracked off when he tried to dump air by pulling on the assembly..Inspected this connection and compared it to same model I pulled off wall at the lds and the broken part used a thinner plastic than the one I compared it to..Again this bcd was purchased from Leisure Pro..
It all comes down to buyer beware..

I shop at Diver's Direct pretty regularly, as one of their stores is local to me. Never had any problems, but I'm very interested in how this turns out. Please keep us posted.

-Paul

yes, yes please update as soon as you get the info!:popcorn:

I have bought many things from Divers Direct since my Certification...But if they tried any funny business with you....that might be enough for me to get rid of the Mares Abyss I bought from them....and get the apeks I want....

Granted the only problem I have ever had with them is the fact they do not carry Nitrox at all....But that's also why I got to my LDS way more often now....service is better anyway..

I'm not accusing anyone yet. I want to base my decisions on facts, not feelings. I e-mailed the serial numbers to Aqua lung customer service. Todd Anderson, from Aqua lung, is researching the numbers for me. He got back to me quickly with a couple more questions. I'm waiting for his response to my inquiry. Rather than relying on "...this dealer said...", I suspect that Aqua lung would give me a definitive answer based on the serial numbers and the description. I am meeting with the tech at Divers Direct on Friday 11/3.
Stay tuned.

The primary reason I would ONLY buy certain things through a LDS, those things include the main life support gear such as regulators, BCDs, SPGs and/or computers.
Online stores are better for other gear such as fins, snorkels, masks, lights, knives.
Exposure suits are a crapshoot. Pay lots more at a LDS but get one that you know fits but then again, some online stores take exposure suits back if it doesnt fit properly. The question there is shipping and what kind of hassle do you get sending it back.

Apex Would Be better,or maybe Scuba Pro,Atomics.
You cant go wrong with those Reg's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom