Aqua Lung regs and bubble noise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, thx. Enough said.

if you are really looking to ditch the noise, the Kraken the @OWIC647 sells is definitely the way to go. Much higher performing regulator than either of the ones that you mentioned, and if you look at a total cost of ownership, it is cheaper than the Aqualung due to cost of service and ability to DIY

I looked into the Kraken—very intriguing I must admit. Thing is, I, like most of us, have a list of qualities we want in our equipment and we place different weights on these qualities. Here's how the Kraken stacks up for me:

Good:

Puts bubbles behind my head. I'm more naturalist than diver, and I've always felt that the curtain of bubbles coming from my mouth interferes with getting close to and photographing shy creatures. Also, as in my original post, the bubble noise is annoying.

Cool factor :cool:

Tinker/DYI factor. Both a plus and a minus—see below.
Bad:

Bulky—both in the water and in my luggage.

If I have trouble with it, can I just drop it off at my LDS, or can I get it fixed at a local shop when traveling? I think the answer is no. While I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and I do enjoy some DYI, again, I'm more naturalist than diver or technician.
So thanks for the suggestions—I did not make all the above considerations clear in my original post—but I don't think double hose is the way to go for me. I'm just looking for the quietest relatively inexpensive, modern, off the shelf reg I can get. From the responses I've gotten it looks like I should avoid compact second stages and forget about exhaust tee grids and other gimmicks.

@peterak unfortunately with most regulators you can't just drop it off at most LDS's because fewer and fewer are actually doing their own service in house, or have the necessary parts in stock to actually rebuild it.
I will say that the Kraken uses the same parts and kit as the older Aqualung Titan and @Luis H designed it around those parameters, and the second stage is stupid simple. You could rebuild one in less than an hour, much faster than a LDS will be able to do it without paying some sort of ridiculous rush fee.
That may or may not change your decision, but I think a lot of people talk about global service and how it is important, but the reality is that most shops have a week+ turnaround, and many aren't keeping the parts on the shelf so it doesn't really matter. If it happens, that blows, but rent a reg for the rest of the trip or you can DIY it very quickly.

The kraken is a touch on the bulky side when travelling, but definitely not nearly as bulky as you may think in the water.

tbone1004, you make a good argument. Gotta think about it. Thanks.

I am a senior at Middleton High School in an engineering class focused around a capstone project. My group is researching and will eventually be developing a way to reduce the negative effects bubbles released by a regulator, such as the sound the bubbles makes or the bubbles hindering your vision. I would greatly appreciate if you could take this survey so that we can collect relevant data and make a product that best addresses the problem. Thank you all.

If you have any questions, please email myself or the other members of my group:

christophersmeeks@gmail.com

jmhaynes2810@gmail.com

remark0627@gmail.com

If you still plan to try the Titan and the Calypso, they both use the same second stage with a different logo on the front cover. So regarding noise, I don't see a point in renting twice.

Even though the Calypso is an unbalanced piston, its performance is surprisingly good. Work Of Breathing is still 1.0 j/l even at depth and low cylinder pressure. And it is coldwater rated, which stunned me to realize. I made calls to be sure that was not a misprint. It's not. I am referring to the current version, older versions may not be the same. (for instance the quick disconnect version is not cw)

Titan will be a little lighter, but not for cw. You may not notice the slightly better performance from the balanced diaphragm 1st stage.

I looked into the Kraken—very intriguing I must admit. Thing is, I, like most of us, have a list of qualities we want in our equipment and we place different weights on these qualities. Here's how the Kraken stacks up for me:

Good:

Puts bubbles behind my head. I'm more naturalist than diver, and I've always felt that the curtain of bubbles coming from my mouth interferes with getting close to and photographing shy creatures. Also, as in my original post, the bubble noise is annoying.

Cool factor :cool:

Tinker/DYI factor. Both a plus and a minus—see below.
Bad:

Bulky—both in the water and in my luggage.

If I have trouble with it, can I just drop it off at my LDS, or can I get it fixed at a local shop when traveling? I think the answer is no. While I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and I do enjoy some DYI, again, I'm more naturalist than diver or technician.
So thanks for the suggestions—I did not make all the above considerations clear in my original post—but I don't think double hose is the way to go for me. I'm just looking for the quietest relatively inexpensive, modern, off the shelf reg I can get. From the responses I've gotten it looks like I should avoid compact second stages and forget about exhaust tee grids and other gimmicks.

The "quietest" simple reg option is one that I have pondered often and at some length.
As you mentioned in your original post the Aqualung Titan/Calypso have a reputation for being a little quieter and having tried them I believe this is true. The difference seems to be that the exhaust tee has openings that break the gas into smaller bubbles and smaller bubbles sound marginally quieter than big ones- but the difference is not profound.
All bubbles will make noise and things you can do to reduce your perception of it include wearing a hood and trying a variety of different regulator types because there are subtle differences in the tones and way the bubbles move past your ears in various orientations.
Double hose regulators do not produce quieter bubbles but definitely spook fish in front of you much less than single hose ones. Eventually you may try a rebreather and that's where you will finally realise quiet diving nirvana- however having been down that route I do not believe that that the pursuit of silence alone justifies the risks and complexities (also expense) of diving a rebreather. Lastly, the more you dive the less you will notice bubble noise because your brain will selectively tune it out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom