Aqua Lung Legend LX ACD or Apeks XTX200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought an Apex xtx50 with the DS4 first stage. They also offer the free octo, however its the egress oct. I "upgraded" to the xtx 40 octo, They credited me the egress price wich left about 50 dollar difference I had to pay. If memory served me well the 100 and 200 come with different first stages. One the FRS and the Other the FST. I asked around, and no one could state a glaring difference in breathing. I was told the 200 would handle tri-mix and deep water, over two hundred feet, better, but if your not into that it may not be worth the price difference. The xtx50 with the ds4 is cheeper than the legend. Only difference in second stage on the 50, 100, and 200 is cosmetic.

I just got back from the dive shop. I went with the Apeks XTX50/DS4 with the free Egress octo. This was $115 less than the Legend LX ACD with the Legend Octo.

The owner of the LDS said don't let the small size of the Egress fool you, it is a good quality pneumatically balanced octo. and it breathes upsidedown or rightside up. For me, the $115 was the deciding factor to go with it over the Legend.

ereediver:
One the FRS and the Other the FST. I asked around, and no one could state a glaring difference in breathing. I was told the 200 would handle tri-mix and deep water, over two hundred feet, better, but if your not into that it may not be worth the price difference.
I'm not sure how a FSR (on the XTX200) would do better than the FST (on the XTX100) at deep and/or trimix dives. The only differences in the two are the removable valve seat in the FSR, exterior finish, and shape.

xiSkiGuy:
I'm not sure how a FSR (on the XTX200) would do better than the FST (on the XTX100) at deep and/or trimix dives. The only differences in the two are the removable valve seat in the FSR, exterior finish, and shape.

As it was explained to me the FSR has a bigger air chamber. I could not tell you if it's true or just smoke, but thats one difference. I'm sure someone more versed on regulators could tell you for sure.

Dan Watkins:
I just got back from the dive shop. I went with the Apeks XTX50/DS4 with the free Egress octo. This was $115 less than the Legend LX ACD with the Legend Octo.

The owner of the LDS said don't let the small size of the Egress fool you, it is a good quality pneumatically balanced octo. and it breathes upsidedown or rightside up. For me, the $115 was the deciding factor to go with it over the Legend.

I went with the xtx 40 thinking one day I may move to doubles, Hence I could just move the 40 to another first, one less thing to buy. I did not hear anything bad about the egress either.

I have an Aqualung Legend(without the knob, don't know if that's LX or what), and love it. It almost feeds air to me like it knows when i'm about to inhale. Never tried an Apeks, but I hear nothing but praise for them too. If price is is a comparison point, I got mine with octo for $450(used a few times, but looked brand new).

Dan Watkins:
I spent several hours wading through some historial threads here on the subject.

This is what I have come up with:

AquaLung Legend LX ACD is similar to the XTX200/100's Both balanced diaphram, etc. Difference with the Legend is the ACD feature.

As far as the difference between Apeks models:

1. XTX200 is chrome finish, angled LP ports, 2 HP ports
2. XTX100 like XTX200 but in satin finish
3. XTX50 is a chrome finish, rotating LP turret, 2HP ports
4. XTX50/DS4 like XTX50, but fixed LP (no turret), 1 HP port, DIN standard

I am not considering XTX40 because they don't have inhalation adjustment.

I think I might take a close look at the XTX50/DS4 because I don't need to HP ports, and I do use 300 bar DIN tanks.

Does the XTX50 and 200/100 have the same breathing characteristics?

The XTX50, 100, 200 breath exactly the same way. The second stage on all three are identical. The first stage on the XTX50 is a bit bigger than the 100 and 200 that's all.

I just got the XTX50 and paid around $465 with a free octo. at my local LDS. It's a great reg so far.

split0101:
I thought AL doesnt own Apeks, just the rights to sell them in the US. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...:huh:

Aqualung has 100% ownership in Apeks.

Aqualung is also the distributor in the US for Apeks, however, overseas, Apeks is distrubuted differently in some countries as these agreements were in place long ago or for other reasons.

You might be confusing Suunto diving products with Aqualung. Aqualung doesn't own Suunto, but is the US distributor for their gauges and computers. (For their watch line, they use a different US distributor thought FYI).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom